Author Topic: Automatic to Manual Transmission swap 1981  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Autonutz

Automatic to Manual Transmission swap 1981
« on: September 23, 2014, 06:30:10 PM »
Hey everybody I purchased an 81 k15 with a 350, 4 spd manual and a 208c wich was rough to look at but has potential. A few months ago i came across another 1981 but this time a k25, 350, auto and a 208 for a price i couldnt turn down, the old guy said it was a different motor and transmission put in a few years ago but couldnt remember anymore details. Im still in the process of identifying the parts on there.

I am planning on taking out the auto and putting in the manual but running into some setbacks with removal of the manual transmission. The clutch pedal seems to be bolted in a few places in the dash and I'm not certain that those are even in my other truck...
The other issue is the bracket on the frame that the clutch connects to, its not on the other truck and it appears that ill need to remove it with a grinder, trace, drill and bolt it into the knew one.

Anyone have some helpful hints lol

Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:32:04 PM by Autonutz »

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Automatic to Manual Transmission swap 1981
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »
You will need to grind the rivets, & swap the bracket for the bell crank mount onto your frame. The bolt holes should be there in your frame for it. The vacuum booster is held in place with the studs from the pedal bracket. Drop the steering column, disconnect the brake rod out to the booster, Remove the booster. Drop the pedal bracket, swap it with the other one. Some of the older trucks I have been able to just swap the pedals, but I think 81 its the whole bracket swap. the rest is pretty strait forward. swap the trans & t case for the other ones.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Autonutz

Re: Automatic to Manual Transmission swap 1981
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »
thank you for the heads up, there was a lot more involved on this truck than i first thought!
Any idea of the years that are easier to swap out?