Author Topic: Starter Going out? Whistle sound at start-now grinding rock sound at start  (Read 4659 times)

Offline PastorKen

Hello, all!   I've searched through the forum best I could before adding another thread:
1986 Chevy Stepside C10  4.3  V6

Whistle sound at start:  4 or so whistles [like when I call the dogs in] and then the motor would fire off and run with no more whistle.

Today: No whistle, but nasty grinding [like bearings out] or rocks in a blender sound before engine fires off and runs.

Starter?  Could the whistle have been from the alternator brushes...that was a suggestion from father in law.

Thanks for your consideration and advice.

Ken

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
When you installed the starter did you check the ring gear to starter gear clearance?  There is a shim kit with  a gauge which looks like a drill bit for getting proper clearance. It should not have a whistle or grinding sound.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
...1986 Chevy Stepside C10  4.3  V6...
Whistle sound at start... nasty grinding [like bearings out]....
Starter?

Only while cranking?

Was noise concomitant with installation of this starter, or has the starter been in service for awhile and the noise is recent?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline PastorKen

I have not replaced the starter on this vehicle.  The noise is a recent phenomena.  Only occurs at start up and is not evident during driving or idling.

Ken

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
May have an armature dragging.  Resolution would be to replace the starter assembly.  Be sure to check the starter mounting for missing bolts/cracks and inspect the ring gear on the flexplate (automatic trans) or flywheel (manual trans) for chipped teeth and wear.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
would the engine and starter be turning over with the whistling or while you where trying to turn the motor over just the starter would move?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes