Author Topic: Narrowing Track width 1973 Chev C-10  (Read 20500 times)

Offline Kusto

Narrowing Track width 1973 Chev C-10
« on: December 26, 2008, 06:32:07 PM »
Hey there folks just signed up.  I know I may catch some flack from you folks over this but it's not my fault......

I recently purchased a 1948 Ford F-1, of which (as I find out) I am the third owner of this project truck.  The original owner mounted the F-1 body on the 1973 chassis and Z'd the frame to shorten the wheel base to match the length of the '48 Ford.  The shortening looks to have been well done and the Z has been fish plated for additional support.  The frame has been epoxy coated and the second owner installed a lowering kit 5-7" overall (including drop spindles, springs and c-notch/flip kit for the rear).  The second owner also replaced the breaks all around, and installed all new bushings and bearings through out.  The truck currently has a 305 from and TH400 trans (which I just had rebuilt), drive shaft shortened as necessary.

So I once I had the rough body work completed (1 year after I purchased it) I began test fit up and found that the front track width is too wide for the front sheet metal of the '48.  The previous owner never indicated that this was potentially an issue (and perhaps he didn't even know as the front sheet metal was off the truck when he got it according to the pictures he gave me from when he purchased the truck 3 years before I purchased it.

I'm not sure what my options might be to correct this problem.  I am planning on using this truck as a driver rather than a show truck so I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on a MII kit.  I am curious if there are any options that will correct this 6" discrepancy in width from the salvage yard since I have more time than money to spend on this thing.

Sorry for the long post and I look forward to any advice that folks may have.  Since I am getting down to the chassis, drive train and electrical components I will be spending a lot more time on here.

Thanks again,

Nick

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Narrowing Track width 1973 Chev C-10
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:18:11 PM »
Sounds like a sweet idea. Post some pics.
 I am not sure what to tell you about the current issue you have though.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 69byrd

• Haulin!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »
Most people I know put those old trucks on s-10 chassis, you might be better off to find a junked out longbed s-10 and buy it. You could sell the lowering kit off the frame you got and buy some parts for the s-10 frame. Wish I could help you more with your problem. It sounds like you have a nice project.  8)
84 C-10 Stepside       
54 Chevy Truck
Gotta Love Those Stepsides!
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/69byrd/?start=all

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 09:14:55 PM »
Could you get some offset rims?
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 09:41:10 PM »
Never mind! Brain fart, Sorry! 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:09:24 PM by HAULIN IT »

Offline Kusto

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
I'm kinda hoping there might be some other solutions like a Camaro or Chevy II front clip install?  Could I get the front clip off an S-10 and mod the C-10 frame to accept the S-10 Clip rather than getting the entire truck?

I have been thinking about options for backspacing and rim off sets but not sure where to look and not terribly familiar with these wheel spacings or measurements to determine what would work.  Is there somewhere that has a good discussion on these measurements so I know what I'm looking for?

Nick

Offline Kusto

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 10:07:51 PM »
Well perhaps I was off a little with the 6" comment.  referring to outside to outside with the stock ralley wheels on, 3" either side.  As far as track width hub to hub, the stock F-1 width is 58.5" while the Stock track width on the 73 (before it was lowered) is 59.5" but since it was lowered 5-7" the track has increased to (if I recall correctly) 62"?

The previous owner of the truck widened the front fenders 4" on each side and I spent a bunch of $$ fixing them but they look off (they are on the current pics of the truck above) and I was thinking about going back to stock width FG fenders.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 10:17:21 AM »
I think they width looks pretty good. You say the fenders are off? How so? They look odd? or they are not the same or are not strait enough for you? I would spend time making them right before going back to ground zero with and allready finished frame. What about the rear? is it to wide as well? I would widen those fenders too if it were mine. A Camaro front clip would be the better option in my opinion if you were to go that route.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 69byrd

• Haulin!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 11:51:35 AM »
Yeah the camaro clip would work well. I saw a bagged 64 ford with the camaro clip and he could drive and turn with the truck almost laid out. The camaro clip would be alot narrower and you could proably sit the truck as low as you wanted.
84 C-10 Stepside       
54 Chevy Truck
Gotta Love Those Stepsides!
http://s493.photobucket.com/albums/rr299/69byrd/?start=all

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 09:34:12 PM »
To make it any narrower, you would have to cut something major.  Offset wheels would be the simplest choice if you don't want to start all over again.

Nice project BTW.

Offline N2TRUX

• Global Moderator
  • Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 12:24:50 PM »
You could section the A-arms but I don' know if that will give you what you need. I see what you mean about the wider fenders. They appear to have been widened and flared in the front.

I suggest you get a stock fender and see how much you need to move your track in. I don't think your going to make it happen with the 73-87 IFS.

Have you looked at aftermarket IFS kits like those offered by Porterbuilt,  Scotts Hotrods or Fatman's?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:28:11 PM by N2TRUX »

Offline Kusto

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 12:52:19 AM »
I think they width looks pretty good. You say the fenders are off? How so? They look odd? or they are not the same or are not strait enough for you? I would spend time making them right before going back to ground zero with and allready finished frame. What about the rear? is it to wide as well? I would widen those fenders too if it were mine. A Camaro front clip would be the better option in my opinion if you were to go that route.

Here we go, I'm not being a perfectionist but the flares that were added on either side don't quite match (they are similar but not exact) and not really noticeable unless you are looking at it straight on very closely, may be more noticeable once I get a front bumper mounted on.  They were widened 4" by the previous owner as I mentioned in an earlier post.  I don't really agree with how and where he stretched the fenders, which resulted in some funky body lines, again only if you look closely.  the rear really isn't an issue and fit the rear fenders OK but the PO made such a mess of the rear fenders and the bed I just junked the whole works, found another donor bed and ordered two fiber glass rear fenders that are also 2" wider than stock to accept some wider meats on the back.  I do accept the fact that this truck will be a 20/20 truck, but it seems I'm my own worst critic.......

Offline Kusto

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 01:36:57 AM »
To make it any narrower, you would have to cut something major.  Offset wheels would be the simplest choice if you don't want to start all over again.

Nice project BTW.

So as for off set rims would I be looking at a negative off set or zero back space or something like that?  How far can I go without the rim causing clearance issues with the tie rods or hitting the frame.  Would I need to go to 17's or larger diameter and would that eliminate the clearance issues?

Any suggestions on rims that would look good with a zero off set in the front and a deep dish in the rear would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 12:46:08 PM »
i think it looks cool the way it is.

1) The negative offset idea would probably be easiest.  Another idea is to use a narrower wheel and tire combo such as a front drag type combo.  That alone tucks the wheels in a little compared to stock.

2) Another possibility is to use a straight axle setup.  This way you can get any track width you want.  Probably less work than installing a different front clip from camaro etc.  It would mostly involve finding places on the frame to drill holes to mount the leaf spring perches.

3)You may want to look in if it is possible to bolt the s-10's control arms to the existing c-10's frame?  Also, check G-bodys.

Personally, i would just leave it.  Although i think the drag tire combo will take care of the 6 inches.