Author Topic: Removing Fenders To Access Engine  (Read 10835 times)

Offline Breadvan

• No Breadvan, '83 C10 'burban
Removing Fenders To Access Engine
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »
So I need to do a fair bit of work to my engine, and I find it really hard to reach anything, the engine bay being so big.

I want to remove the inner and outer fenders on each side and leave the wheels sitting naked. I'd prefer to leave the hood and front section on.

The first thing the manual says to do is remove the hood, do I have to? Is it impossible to do without? Also is it quicker removing inner and outer fenders as a single unit, is there any shortcuts I should look for?

This is purely to gain access to the engine, I need to change the carburetor and remove the plugs and try and free the block, remove the intake manifold and clean it all out. It's stuck in a farm shed with a loose dirt floor, so I'm not happy jacking it up and working under it. I'm also open to better suggestions. 

Offline timthescarrd

• Frequent Member
Re: Removing Fenders To Access Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
Removing carb, intake, and plugs are all very easy to do from the top, I just open the hood, climb up in the engine bay and sit on the fender wells while I'm working.

Other than that, I've only ever taken off the inner fenders and while they're fairly easy to unbolt, they're near impossible to get out with the tire and outer fender on

Offline Breadvan

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 05:29:59 PM »
So you just sit in the engine bay?

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »
i've done the sitting in the engine bay thing and it is uncomfortable fast.   i am planning on switching to v-6 and using an electric fan and this should give me enough space to stand in there!

But i like your idea of removing the inner fenderwells for servicing;  Maybe you can dzus them when you re-install them to make it fast and easy to remove.

Offline Breadvan

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
Dzus?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:15:38 PM »
Removing carb, intake, and plugs are all very easy to do from the top, I just open the hood, climb up in the engine bay and sit on the fender wells while I'm working.

Other than that, I've only ever taken off the inner fenders and while they're fairly easy to unbolt, they're near impossible to get out with the tire and outer fender on

Some people can not get in and sit like that anymore.  I used to when I was younger, but knee injuries do not allow my knee's to bend that much any more.
     Here is a pic of an engine creeper that I plan on getting pretty soon, will make life so much easier for me anyway.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Breadvan

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:30:21 PM »
Nice ;D

But that's a $300 solution for a $200 truck 8)

I see a Jr model for $100, I wonder what I could make from an Ab-Doer and a welding torch. :o

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »
"is there any shortcuts I should look for?"

The hood is only a few bolts. Make your witness marks and get it out of the way. Taking the fenders off seems a little ridiculous if you are looking for shortcuts. Removing the inner fenders may make life a little easier if you don't fit in the engine compartment easily
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline manualburb

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
That thing is sweet. Why didn't I invent something like that. Christmas is coming ;)

Offline Breadvan

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 01:15:16 PM »
I've got some pole clamps, trying to figure out if I could clamp a padded seat to a stepladder and create the same, likely would have balance issues. :-\

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:27:47 PM »

Offline Breadvan

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »
...and I learn something new  ;D

Quick release fenders would be nice, though I don't think you could use those fasteners all round the fenders? This is just such an odd design, to me, having such inaccessible parts, or in this case most of the engine, and the spark plugs especially. A hinged front section that flips it all forward would have made access so much easier.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:52:57 PM by Breadvan »

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 09:18:49 PM »
I used to sit on the fenders when I was younger. My 15 tear old son and I are working on my 1979 truck right now. I had him remove the inner fenders because they were rusted. I have to say it is so much nicer to work on now.  :)I think I would remove the inner fenders if it was me- especially if they are going to be replaced.
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline Breadvan

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »
No, the front end probably has the least rot on it. The rear wheel wells are a mess, and I've got a hole in the bed, where the rear tire shed it's tread and slappa-slappa'd the bed with it. I just need to get the carb off, after the mice nested in it, and clean up the engine bay, where the possum nested in it, and tear off the remaining hood liner that various wildlife used for bedding. I probably shoulda left it in the yard, it would have been less attractive to critters, but the wife wanted it out of sight.

I guess I'll try the step stool approach, once the weather cools down, and if I get frustrated I'll tear the fenders off.

Putting $1000 worth of fiberglass on a $200 truck, just don't make sense, but it sure is purdy  ::)