Author Topic: 1978 Chevy C10 Tilt/Shift on Steering Column Issue (Tired Topic?..Yes... it is)  (Read 4518 times)

Offline Garifini1

Well...

I have Braved the tilt column Play fix in my 78 C10 5.7l "Big 10", and it was as awesome as I had read about. The issues I have( The 4 support bolts no longer being one), are:

1. The Bearing Housing only had one bearing upon investigation, The top one, there were fragments of black plastic I picked out of the column (guessing it was the separator for the rear bearing) and there is not even any loose ball bearings in the column. I have had this truck nearly a month and a half, and who-knows how long the previous owner ran with 3 support bolts dangling in the column before I tackled it. Is this a part I can purchase? Fabricate? pick up at a local Bicycle shop? Junk Yard? And Running with one bearing is a what? on a scale of 1-5 of bad?

2. The Pivot Pin tool I spent decent money on broke off inside the Pin, the passengers side, and has taken up residence. I have tried to drill it, re thread and pull, also tried to get to it with a punch from the opposite side...etc and no go. It is receded in the pin a bit, and have managed to drill it out to a nice, and shiny lump. Any suggestions on these would be immediately tried, and very appreciated. would like to button this guy up and move on to the Bouncy Speedometer,and the Carb rebuild, that's next on the list

Thanks!
-Gary

78 Chevy C10  350 5.7l "Big 10" 1/2 ton/ Edelbrock 650

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Check with the dealerships on the column parts.  Try to find one with an old counter guy if you can they should be able to direct you to where you can get the parts.

On the pivot tool, you are saying it is broken off in the column?

Offline Garifini1

:(
Check with the dealerships on the column parts.  Try to find one with an old counter guy if you can they should be able to direct you to where you can get the parts.

On the pivot tool, you are saying it is broken off in the column?

It is indeed broken off in the pivot pin, which is still inside the Bearing Housing.

I found a few GM part numbers for Bearing (s) Retainer, etc... off of another site, I will try to see if they get me anywhere before I explore the dealership option.

GM Part #26002678 "Big Kit" (Tilt Spring, Retainer, Upper Bearing, Seat, Two Pivot Pins)

GM Part #7844651 (Upper and Lower Bearing)

GM part #26001827 (Single Bearing)

I have not confirmed their accuracy or pricing as of yet. I will call the closest Chevy Dealer and see what they can do, appreciate the feedback.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 03:04:43 PM by Garifini1 »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Wow, I am not sure what to tell you.  Are you saying to tried to drill it out already?  Are you using a carbide bit?
Short of just drilling a bigger hole in there and pulling it out I am not sure what to tell you.  Can you post a picture?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
drill it out
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Garifini1

apologies for the late response, I am an Apartment Property Manager and the last two days have been Nutz.

I have not used a carbide bit i don't believe. I have access to our shop here in the community, and used a standard bit, which just made the piece shiny....not cool.

Friday I will swing by Home Depot and see what I can get in the way of Carbide, to drill it out. I also need to look into those part numbers to replace the rear Bearing, I can feel a bit of slop in just the steering wheel, and don't want to damage something else by driving around until then.

I will pop down and get a few pictures, appreciate the responses, and Have a great Holiday all who read this.

-Gary

Offline NCali

• Registered Users
You are not going to find the correct type of carbide drill at home depot. You will need to go through an industrial supply, Napa auto may have one. Carbide bits are brittle, the break easy so drill it slowly
Your colum may be broken at this point anyway. It may be easier to just change the colum . Those are hardened pins and you may not be able to drill it out
Black Labs Matter