Author Topic: fine night for mudding  (Read 10690 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
fine night for mudding
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:32:58 AM »
Well no picturs of mudding cause it was late and i didnt get a chance to get out much cause i didnt get stuck this time. so tadpoles thought they where safe but we had a couple trucks go out and give them a nice tsunami. for a change i had to pull my buddys blazer out twice but i wont rub it in cause he only had 2wd but he was turning 44s i wouldnt dare try the hole he was in for one i only had 40s and i had to go to work tonight but here are some pictures of my truck after had to take pictures in the shop due to poor lighting conditions outside

[/URL]
when i get home i will take a picture of my intake that i kind of mismatched parts to make. always had a problem with sucking in muddy water. so i took one of those large airfilters

and took out the element and replaced it with a small one like 8" instead of 14" that came with it. so it shield the filter and the only way to get water into the filter is at an extreme angle, thats pretty hard to do with this setup. after mudding i popped the hood the "hat" of the filter did its job and the top side was muddy and wet, while the filter stayed dry. felt good to be the one pulling him out. oh yeah the hole he kept getting stuck in was the same one i got stuck in the other day.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:09:46 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
Re: fine night for mudding
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:43:05 AM »
on a side note. we did some pre mudding inspection i was showing off my air filter job. we have always noticed my truck with 6" rough country lift will throw you around in the cab when mudding. now i know lifts will drastically alter the ride but not to the point that you bounce off the roof on a minor bump. compared to my buddys blazer that only has 4" lift there is a noticeable difference. but anyway back to the story we noticed the passenger side front spring is bent after the axle. have to take some punctures but the lift aint that old, hasnt been jumped just hitting some mud holes and with the crappy ride. next time i get a lift kit it wont be from rough country.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:09:19 PM »
I was about to say looks like a smaller lift on your truck with the 40s, and cut fenders.  Going the same route on my k5 when I get the better job next month. Would call rough country and explain to them the problem with the spring pack. I was going to but one of their 6in lifts on my k5 but might consider a different brand now but they do carry a lifetime warranty on all of their products.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »
Might have to give them a call

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »

Maybe its not that bad but there's the picture. Sometimes when I take a left turn the right side of truck dips that's normal. But when I straighten back up its still down. I have to go into the left lane then turn to the right to get it to come back up
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:07:28 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »
I'd definitely give them a call just to see their opinion on it.   But definitely like the stance with the 6in lift and 40s. think I'm definitely gonna go that route once all the other knick knack stuff is done on mine.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 04:11:46 AM »
threw my little boy up in the cab of my 79 he loves trucks and tires lol. then i got in started it, thought the open headers would scare him. he just had this look on his face like whats that. so i creeped around the yard for a bit then stopped. he starts jumping up and down screaming "GO GO GO" he loved it but i didn't want to make it too loud so i couldnt use the gas just idled around then i had to shut her down and distract him to get him out of my truck.

Offline greasemonkey54

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »
where do you wheel at? is it private or public land?  Truck looks good and good idea with the air filter

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 10:50:49 PM »
over in felton, delaware private land. we have a path between some rail roads and tree line. main problem is only 73-87 chevy axles go threw it so we are digging some deep ruts lol. one day my buddy heard a truck in the pit just spinning tires back and forth, so he went to investigate. this dodge with maybe 33s tried to go into the pit without asking and got stuck less than 10 feet in. but he wasnt in ruts he was just in the mud lol he got it out then just left. the air filter element was dirty to begin with but the housing was clean just took it out of the parts shed. as you can see it got dirty but only a little mud slung up into it

Offline popsthebuilder

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 07:57:47 AM »
That truck looks bad-ss!

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 02:37:19 PM »
No pictures in action mean you just sprayed the truck with some muddy water!  ;D
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline greasemonkey54

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 04:17:20 PM »
Is this a trail only truck or street too? open headers are sweet!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 11:13:32 PM »
That truck looks bad-ss!
thanks
No pictures in action mean you just sprayed the truck with some muddy water!  ;D
lol i hear you. i do need to set up a camera to take some pictures or a movie.
Is this a trail only truck or street too? open headers are sweet!
street truck but due to dry-rot with the tires i wont drive them on the road. have s set of hummer tires for that. open headers are ok but with it being lifted the sound just flows and its a little loud. had mufflers but with the snow we got a couple years ago, one of the pipes rusted and broke so i cut the other to have even flow. i kind of get nervous when i go past cops or threw a dui check point.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
UPDATE Re: fine night for mudding
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 12:09:56 AM »
So this morning we had some friends come down from Ny went out to lunch then i tried to get some sleep. didnt work so i went to the shop, i was all by myself tools where on the work truck so i couldnt change the hb bearing on my 04 impala i couldnt/didnt want to do a brake job on my 94 c1500. so this left my 79 8). so the only thing i could think about working on was my air filter and how i could make it better. so i took one of these

dont want to say the name cause i might get in trouble lol. then i took a plasma cutter and joined the two next thing i know is sparks are flying

what i didnt show is taking that "drop" and cutting 2½" strips out of it. then i put them on the outside of the top piece of the air filter housing unit

now this works only because the top is 14" and the base plate is only 12". so this leaves about 2" gap for air to flow
and bad picture but you get the ideal

now my welding is better than this, you know im not going to claim that as a bead just a bunch of tacks. didnt have to be air tight just wanted to shield the filter. but i was tired and rushing and didnt plan anything out just went with the flow, if it didnt fit i made it.
so i went out and tried her out, did well then i got cocky

the hole wasnt deep but it was deep enough so my differentials acted like sleds and gradually slowed down my momentum. then i was stuck. so called my buddy who had the work truck and told him i was waiting for him in the pit. he came home with our ny friends who had a nice ¾dodge cummins dont know the year but it was the style that the head light had the curves to them not like the walker texas ranger style. but he tried to pull me out with the snatch rope. didnt work so he gave her a nice tug and snapped the rope. we alll where shocked this thing is over 1" thick and has a lifetime warranty on the knot and thats what broke. so we got out the john deer and a chain. this worked no problem, then my buddy said you dont know how to get threw the mud thats all. i said then you try, he took me up on the offer hopped in the drivers seat i hoped in the passengers seat. and took off, hit one hole i bounced off the roof hit the hole where i was stuck i ended up in his lap. then went about 10 more feet and come to a stop at this point he pushed me off his lap ::) lol j/k but there is a video this time but i dont have it yet. i will try to get it posted but on a side note. i took that small filter out the little 6" and replaced it with a 12" so it fits right in the base plate. much better flow and not to mention the small one was old and dirty couldnt see day light.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:03:35 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Powerdriver1958

• Kids Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 12:29:20 AM »
Love to see that vid , Sounds like fun to me
I Have My Grand Daughter Exactly Where She wants Me