Author Topic: 2" Drop coils on 87 SWB?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline JAG66

2" Drop coils on 87 SWB?
« on: August 13, 2004, 10:37:00 AM »
I have stock 85 and 87 SWB's. I am keeping the trucks all stock including factory wheels, but want to do a mild drop of 2/3. I hear spindles are the preferred method, but keep reading where a lot of trimming of the control arms are required and other interferences. I have also had the experience of a drop spindle shaft SHEARING OFF of my 90 SS while driving. I currently have 2.5" drop coils on my 98 Ram SS/T and it rides fine with no alignment problems.
So, my questions are: What are the cons against drop coils on my year trucks, how will the ride change, any clearance issues and other modifications required, do 2" drop coils drop it 2" or is it more or less, what are your experiences and opinions please, Thanks, Jeff

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: 2" Drop coils on 87 SWB?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 08:12:00 PM »
Spindles offer the same exact ride that the current suspension setup has, but it will be at a lower ride height.  And less alignment problems since you aren't changing the a-arm posistion

Springs will require more shims for alignment since it lowers the truck by reducing the height of the coil.  This moves the A-arms up.  As for the ride, it will be stiffer than a spindle setup.

If all you are going to go is 2" and you want to keep the stock ride, get spindles.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project