Author Topic: crate engine or replace seal  (Read 1655 times)

Offline peterb

• 75 GMC Sierra Grande 15; 86 Custom Deluxe 10
    • autoliterate
crate engine or replace seal
« on: February 09, 2012, 09:03:45 AM »
I have an 86 swb c10 305 & 350 trans. Runs great. But goes through qt of oil every 850 miles, but no smoke, no blowback, excellent compression, oil pressure. Oil always clean. One place I'm leaking is I think rear main seal. Guy who reblt my trans last year didn;t change seal. 3q's. 1. Is it worth it to replace main seal, or just hang in there and eventually buy new crate engine? 2. What is reasonable price for crate 350, solid, nothing fancy. 3. Hood mat is dinintegrating--where to buy a new one? Do I need one?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: crate engine or replace seal
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »
     Answer's:  #1: in my opinion it is well worth replacing rear main seal, especially since you said it has good compression and no smoke, with good oil pressure.  This will likely take care of your problem.
     #2:  Depends on a long or short block.  A long block just to drop in and go, stock, somewhere in the $2000.00 - $3000.00 range for a engine from a reliable source.
     #3:  I would replace my hood mat, helps with noise and insulates the engine a little bit, not much.  Where to get them, several magazines have them, but you could check with the store on this site.  Look at the top of the post where it says store and push on the button, it will take you to the store page.  If you do not see it e-mail them and the owner of the site or someone will get back to you and tell you if they have it or can get it.
     Good luck.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »
If you can do the work yourself it is definitely worth putting the rear main seal in. Even if you can't do the work it will still save you thousands of dollars.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline peterb

• 75 GMC Sierra Grande 15; 86 Custom Deluxe 10
    • autoliterate
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »
thanks for the help guys. What about replacing front seal as well as rear? Does this make sense or should I just hang in there? I'm not able to do the work myself but I can get it done by a guy who isn;t charging shop rates on labor.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:43:05 PM »
      If you trust the person doing the work, and if you have a 2 piece rear main seal (then the tranny does not have to be dropped), I would say it is worth it.  The front is going to be a little bit harder, but the alternative is having oil leak out all over everything right ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom