Author Topic: C-30 SIMPLEX PROJECT (the cat is out of the bag.....)  (Read 10993 times)

Offline fitz

Re: C-30 SIMPLEX PROJECT (the cat is out of the bag.....)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 11:22:02 PM »
P.S. pls post a link to your truck concerning the 1-ton axles on a 1/2 frame etc. 

You can see pics of my truck under members projects. It will show the cab+chassis dually rear axle (running single wheels) mounted under the stepside bed.

Offline nico

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 03:20:34 PM »
I'm not seeing a problem here... It's been done hundreds (if not thousands of times).  Hot Rod magazine featured a VW bus not too long ago that had a mid-mounted SBC with a blower sitting behind the front seats. There have been many, many  mid engine Corvair and Econoline trucks built over the years...  All three major domestic auto manufacturers either have built, or are currently building mid-engine chassis for use under vans and motorhomes.

Most circle track cars put the engine as far back as their rules will allow, many modifieds will have engine setbacks over 20" and use custom mounts that reach out to the widest portions of a passenger car frame (much wider than the framerail width on an 80's chevy truck).  Much of this technology can be used here as well.

Go to Speedway Motors, Day Motorsports or Smiley's Racing websites, get some custom engine and trans mounts, bolt them to a dummy block, and weld the package wherever you want. Use a shorty powerglide or TH350 and just try to keep your driveshaft over 24" in length (and rotate the drivetrain or pinion to save the U-joints).  My biggest concern would be getting front springs light enough to actually drive... Without the weight of the engine over the front wheels, it's going to pogo on even the smallest obstacle and push its way through every turn.

It could be very fun to have to play around with (with the right converter and transmission package it could yank the front wheels with every shift) but would be a challenge as a daily driver... 
White 1984 Silverado - Factory Paint, Factory Interior, and only 25k miles...

SOLD - Tan 1984 Silverado - 383, 700R4, Detroit Locker & 3.73's...

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 12:41:53 PM »
While i have not completely shelved the mid-engined/"can-am" idea, i have been doing more thinking about more practical (time-saving) routes to achieve what i want.

And i was thinking that a C4 (84-96) corvette might be more practical or a 73-96 fullsize van or astro.

These candidates provide the following advantages:
1) With the corvette, you can get one of those short stools (even with wheels and tray underneath) and pull up and sit right next to the engine.  It seems this way at least based on observations of pictures on my part.

2) With the vans, you are literally on top of the engine, which is cool.

However, both of the candidates fall ultimately short of the ultimate in depth goals which i will state here:
The new, detailed objective is as follows:

To be able to diagnoise any and all engine problems in the most easy, expiedient manner as possible;  To change any part on the engine (except crankshaft) in the most easy, expiedient manner without taking the engine out of the chassis.

So, in the case of the corvette and vans changing a cam would mean taking the radiator and grill etc. out.  Also, with the corvette, it looks a little tight around the firewall/distributor area. This is not too big a deal, but it doesn't meet the objectives.  Despite all of this, i have to admit that upon initial investigations, the corvette's engine accessability is admitedly still pretty good.

Now, the vehicle that WILL meet the objectives is the 64-71 van.  However, the design i'm not real familiar with;  Are the parts on this truck based off the 55-57 chevy?  Are they related to the 72-96 vans and trucks/cars?

Please think of other possible good candidates and explain in full detail of why you think so.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:49:59 PM by Stewart G Griffin »

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 02:57:41 PM »
Buy an older truck. My 51 has a 1 barrel carb, points ignition, and a stadard tranny. It doesnt get any easier tan that.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline fitz

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 04:19:58 PM »
And i was thinking that a C4 (84-96) corvette might be more practical or a 73-96 fullsize van or astro.
Please think of other possible good candidates and explain in full detail of why you think so.

I've owned 3 vettes, an 86,92, and a 98. They were all great cars but when I think of a vette the words cheap or simple don't come to mind. Don't forget those 84-96 vettes are now 25-13 years old respectively. As far as price you should expect to pay about $10,000 and even then you will probably get a car with 100k+ miles on it. Trust me most of the $5000 vettes are junk. Take some time to price parts for one of those cars. Off the top of my head I would say set of TPI injectors would run you $400, Mass airflow sensor $250, wheel bearings $350 a pr, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I love vettes, But as far as a simple vehicle my 69 camaro blows them away.
Like I mentioned before, what are the emission laws in your area? Some of the 80's trucks can be a rats nest of emission hoses under the hood but I would look for a rust free 73-79 or an 87 with TBI on it.
I think for the price of a vette you could put together a real nice truck.   

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 06:46:10 AM »
1) i forgot to mention that if i did get a vette, i would convert to carb and non-computer HEI;
a) The emmissions law here is that if over 20yrs old, anything goes;  You could run nitromethane if you wanted.

2) i've been doing some more thinking(that's just the way i am; i can't help it) and i was thinking that on a 73-91 truck, if i could get a way where the inner fenderwells alone could be quickly and easily removed (using dzus fasteners or something), then this could achieve most of my goals.  This, in conjunction with removing the A/C system--i don't use a/c much anyways, relocating the battery and overflow tank means i could climb inside and stand right next to the engine.  This would make it physically so much easier.
The inner fenderswells only----not the outside sheetmetal.

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 09:07:39 AM »
You could put a tilt front end or removable front end on it and that would help some. Really, if you hate the challenge of working on them this much, buy a new one with warranty, and let someone else work on it. You are looking at making the engine and tranny more accessable, build a funnycar type body on it. Instead of trying to make repairs more accessable, rebuild it to the point repairs are unnecassary. I have 4 of these trucks in the built in the 80s, and 1 truck and 1 car built in the 50s, and the most I have done to them in the last 3 years is charge up the battery. ( Not counting suspension drop on one and lift on the other) I gave a tuneup on the 51 3 years ago. Changed 6 plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and points in about one hour.
 Rebuild your engine using quality parts, put a 2 barrel carb on it, manual steering box, manual transmission, and find an old points type distributor, and put a electronic iginition in it to get rid of the points, and let it rip.
  I admire your thinking, but I dont think the key is to make it easily accessable, and think it would be better to make it durable.
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 11:39:05 AM »
I ran a 78 K 20 years ago with no inner fenders. It was slick to work on.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 06:55:21 PM »
I ran a 78 K 20 years ago with no inner fenders. It was slick to work on.
I dont think there is a law that says you have to have a hood either, ;D
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline fitz

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 09:31:09 PM »
1) i forgot to mention that if i did get a vette, i would convert to carb and non-computer HEI;
a) The emmissions law here is that if over 20yrs old, anything goes;  You could run nitromethane if you wanted.

It's the federal Government that regulates the emissions. If a state chooses not to test for them (usually for budget reasons) you can still not remove all the emission control devices from the car legally. As the vehicles get older the inspectors tend to let things slide a little but if you pull up in a vette with the fuel injection system  A.W.O.L. that might be cause for concern.
 What else can we do to convince you these trucks can be reliable rigs with a little work. Like Choptop said "build it to be durable".
 I hate to sound like a broken record talking about my camaro on a truck website but I'm just trying to prove that these older vehicles can be very reliable.
 I installed the current motor in that car 6 years ago and besides routine oil changes it hasn't needed a thing (I'll tune it up this spring but it still runs great). It's a 350 bored .30 over with a 1 piece rear main, 9.25  to 1 compression, small roller cam, vortec heads,GM performance manifold w/edelbrock 600 carb and a DUI HEI ignition. The machine shop was shooting for 325 H.P. Like I said, it's been 6 years of trouble free driving (weather permitting).
 Now the old motor in the car was a 370 horse LT1 factory replacement motor that you could buy over the counter from GM up until the late 80's-early 90's. It had 11.5 to 1 pistons, big solid cam, Holley street dominator open plenum manifold with a 780 CFM Holley double pumper. The car was fairly quick (13.1 in the 1/4) but all that came at a cost as far as maintenance goes. Spent many Saturdays afternoons adjusting the valves and at every fill up you had to add a can of octane boost or a gallon or two of 103 octane race fuel to keep it from detonating.
 See what I'm getting at, the same car was set up two different ways and had completely different maintenance requirements.
 Build yourself a nice mild small block, toss it in a truck (in the front where it belongs) and I think you'll be happy. 

Offline dustystrucktoo

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 06:15:07 AM »
Since you are putting the engine so far back, did the thought of using a Fullsize Blazer gas  tnak in the engine compartment ever come to mind?  Or:  Nope, aint  giving up the new front trunk area>  Unde5r the cab?
I would suggest stacks being used for the exhaust.....  That would be a real interesting looking exhaust if you created and X Pipe connection with stacks.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 06:18:12 AM by dustystrucktoo »