Author Topic: steering column clunkin woes  (Read 3057 times)

Offline jefferias

steering column clunkin woes
« on: July 18, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »
hi guys, just replaced my entire steering column bout maybe 3 weeks ago because my horn,hazards,turn signal it was all screwed up and barely worked. replaced and all is well cept now i have a clunk when turning or hittings bumps so looked at shaft under hood and grabbed it and it moved a fair bit up/down/side to side. so i pulled the bearing assembly by the tranny shift arm from my old column and cleaned and greased. installed into truck and no difference really. so i looked at an exploded view of the column and i believe it is my lower bearing. the upper bearing is good i think cause my tilt is not sloppy. so my question is how unsafe to drive like this or is it just annoying clunking (by the floorboardss?) im just wondering cause i need to put in some overtime at the shop to pay for this, as im not doing this job myself- im thinking worst case it'll be done within a month i hope. plz any insight or comments are appreciated

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: steering column clunkin woes
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:30:42 PM »
It's easy enough to change yourself. Pick up a good used one and swap it in yourself.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline jefferias

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 05:20:59 PM »
how do you do it.  go thru the steering wheel and work down?  I dont wanna pull the column again if i dont have to!

Offline jefferias

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 02:06:35 AM »
nevermind i just looked at my diagram a little better and yeah im gonna go to the wreckers and do some research and development for the ole girl   thanks