Author Topic: 84 K10 Silverado 305 700R4 with 10 bolt rearend questions. Need opinions  (Read 9803 times)

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
     Sounds like you need to do some research for what will work with how much "work" you are willing to put into it and how much power/torque you want your son to have.
     Wikipedia is a great source to find out the differences in engines, what years the production runs for certain displacements were, and general bore and stroke for each class.
     Advanced Adapters is a good web site to see if there is adapters to mate newer engine blocks to older transmissions, or newer engine's/transmissions to older transfer cases.
     If you plan on keeping it a 4wd truck, you can not use a 2wd transmission and hook up a transfer case unless you use a divorced transfer case.  In my opinion for what you are doing for your son, this would be extreme and not worth the money.  But hey, it's not my money or time, so you need to decide.
     To answer your question directly, NO, a 2wd drive transmission is not the same as a 4wd transmission.  Almost all 2wd transmission can not be converted to accept a transfer case.  That is why they made 4wd transmissions.
     If you do have the 700R4 auto transmission and the 205 transfer case, the 700R4 can be beefed up to handle all kinds of HP and TQ.  The 205 is a well built, hard to destroy transfer case.  You can get adapters to mate newer engines to the 700R4 since these are popular transmission swaps, so the aftermarket supports these swaps a lot.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
thought the trans bell housing was the same(they did change but i thought it was just a bolt hole at 12 o'clock)? but you cant just swap tail housings, you would have to rip it all apart and the last thing out is the tail shaft then you have to put it all back together. a 700r4 should be 27 splines till 88? there was a 205 27 spline but it only came behind a th350. but after 88 is when they went to left hand drop (except in solid axles till 91)
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline roundhouse

I'd just buy a new target master 350
They're not expensive