Author Topic: Transfer case bracket?  (Read 7067 times)

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Transfer case bracket?
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
I have two bolt holes on the passenger side NP203 and I always wondered about them. Plus the fact that the transfer case is not supported in any way except being bolted to the transmission. I saw a picture and it looks like there is a bracket. Is it a stock item? (I know the first pic has a 205)

Here is my transfer case. Not a good view of the passenger side, but you can see one of the two bolts. Dont mind those stupid brackets on the frame, the PO had home made traction bars which are now gone.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Transfer case bracket?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 11:25:09 PM »
There is a factory bracket that mounts the side of the case to the frame. The 208s have one that runs up to the middle bell housing bolt.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:16:27 PM »
There is a factory bracket that mounts the side of the case to the frame. The 208s have one that runs up to the middle bell housing bolt.

Did it ever come on NP203?

Offline Wardog

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 09:42:02 PM »
A torque rod bolts to those two holes and runs up to the bellhousing.  It limits the amount of flex that occurs in th etransmission/transfer case and prevents damage to the transmsission case.  They're kinda awkward, but well worth it.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:42:02 PM »
I dont understand how a rod would prevent twist, but then again I am not an engineer. I do understand the bracket to the frame, though, as there is nothing holding the T case besides being bolted to the transmission. I suppose this rod would have to be located by luck vs a new part.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 06:24:47 AM »
203s had the bracket you have in your pic. Only 208s came with the rod up to the bell housing.
 Have never heard of them preventing twist though! Never heard of a 208 twisting for that matter. They are supposed to help with the shock load from the front drive shaft when it is compressed. Keep the right side of the case from being pushed backwards.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs