Author Topic: Ignition problem  (Read 2912 times)

Offline ARshuter

Ignition problem
« on: February 08, 2015, 05:03:54 PM »
Today I was installing a new radio in my 76.  Turned the key on and off several times with no problems. Ask my daughter to start the truck and back it out from under the carport and the darn thing wouldn't start now the key is very easy to turn with no resistance.  I just got this truck 6 weeks ago when I bought it the owner told me you have to tilt the wheel all the way down, toward the seat, to get it to start. He was correct every time you try to start it you had to tilt the wheel.  The switch on the column half way down seems to be tight.   Any other ideas?   Thank you, Alan

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline ARshuter

Re: Ignition problem
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:06:30 AM »
Thanks for the reply Irish.  I must have been tearing the column apart when you sent your reply.  Well I found out the ignition sector is broke.  The local parts store don't carry it so my next question is does anyone know where I can locate one?  I know junk yards but would like to get a new one if possible.  TIA,  Alan
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:38:01 PM by ARshuter »

Offline ARshuter

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »
Dealership says they are discontinued.  NAPA as well as other parts stores say they only carry switch and tumbler. Guess it off to a salvage yard.        Salvage yards say they won't pull a column apart for me to get the part I need it's  all or nothing.   I did find a web site called GMclassicparts.com that carries the part in case this happens to anyone else.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:36:37 PM by ARshuter »

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:20:46 PM »
You look on eBay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ARshuter

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 05:13:08 AM »
You look on eBay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No found one on GMClassics.com