Author Topic: 14B hub won't quit leaking.  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Got Smoke?

14B hub won't quit leaking.
« on: August 09, 2011, 08:34:12 PM »
This past weekend we changed the pinion seal and the pass side inner hub seal trying to get some leaks taken care of on my 79 since it's going to be driven more regularly now. I noticed when I pulled the hub off that there was a very hard build up in some spots on the spindle...kinda scratched at it with a screw driver and none came off so I installed the neal seal in hopes that it would work.

WRONG

Seal is still leaking BADLY and I'm wondering how I am going to go about fixing this. A friend told that I can get a "ready sleeve" to install on the surface where the seal rides and it will seal then? I talked to the local parts house and he said yes it will work but he needs the diameter of the spindle where this seal rides. It will be a day or two before I can tear mine back down to measure this so I thought I would ask if anybody else has encountered this and how they fixed it. :-\

Thanks.
97 Dodge Cummins modded 12V
02 VW Golf TDI 40+ MPG
79 Chevy K20 350 4spd 5" lift 37 MT OZ's
88 Chevy V3500 / 88 GMC R3500 combo going 3+3 SRW 350/400/205

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: 14B hub won't quit leaking.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »
I would try emery cloth to remove the hardened up deposits.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs