Author Topic: Dana 60 kingpin replacement. Is a 600 ft pound torque wrench really needed?  (Read 22580 times)

Offline fitz

I have an M1028 (basically an 84 k30) that has the death wobble in the Dana 60.
  Ever since I bought the truck last year it had a little shimmy to the front end going over potholes/railroad tracks.
  I just installed Tough Country 2" HD front springs. Now the shimmy has become the dreaded D60 death wobble
  I installed new Spicer springs & plastic bushings but that didn't solve it. I rotated the tires and tried another set of tires I had laying around but that didn't help.
  I've been reading a bunch of threads about rebuilding the whole unit with new kingpins and bearings. I still have more research to do but I am concerned with the kingpins 600 foot pound torque requirement on the 7/8" allen head.  Most of the threads just say to use a 4' pipe on the allen head to tighten the kingpin. I've found some torque wrenches rated up to 600 foot pounds for about $300.
So should I spend the $300 or just use a 4' pipe and crank it down hard?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
do you already have a tq wrench? if so i would waist money on one already maybe find someone who has one that big. if no then i would buy one cause you might need it again.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline fitz

I have a craftsman 3/8" (75 ft pounds) and a craftsman 1/2" (200 ft pounds). A 600 ft pound one might be next.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
a home made deal would be something like this
WHAT YOU NEED---600
How much you weight ---250 (IDK)
N/W=X * 12(inches)= you pipe length
so you need 600/250=2.4*12=28.8
now take a pipe or something and make a mark from the center of the alen key to 28.8.
now once you snug the bolt up you put all you weight on that 28.8" mark and that will give you 600lbs if you weight 250lbs

if you dont understand just tell me your weight and ill tell you where to put the mark ;-)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:34:34 AM by Irish_Alley »

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
must add make sure your pipe is perpendicular to the bolt and dont jump on it ::)

Offline fitz

Thanks Irish.
  As far as the 250lbs, your right on the money (mom says I'm just big boned).
   I'm thinking I might have to take the axle out of the truck and rotate it 90° to get the pipe perpendicular to the kingpin.
  I'm not against spending money on tools, I just can't see myself using a 600 ft pound torque wrench that often.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
     Is there no place around you that you could rent one for a day ?  I would be hesitant on not torquing it properly, the last thing you would ever want is for it to come apart when you are driving it.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline ehjorten

You could probably have an extension made with a receiver for your torque wrench!  A torque wrench is no magical mysterious device!  torque is simply a force applied at a distance.  200 lb-ft is 200 lb applied at a distance of 1 ft from the fulcrum...or 100 lb applied at a 2 ft. distance.

You said that you have a 200 lb-ft torque wrench.  In order to apply 600 lb-ft of torque you need a longer lever arm.

The formula to determine that is: wrench setting = desired torque x wrench length / (wrench length + extension length)

So...if you have say an 18", 200 lb torque wrench and you need to apply 600 lb-ft of torque you would need to have at least a 36" extension with your torque wrench set to 200 lb-ft.

200 lb-ft = 600 lb-ft x 18"/(18" + 36")
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline fitz

I'm leaning towards just spending the $300 on the torque wrench.  I plan on keeping this truck so I might as well bite the bullet.  This project is gonna be few weeks away. I'm sure I'll have more questions when I start.
  Thanks again guys.

Offline pholliday1

• 1990 V3500 Crew Cab
First off how much wear is actually on the king pin itself? You may be barking up the wrong tree. Of the 60's I've rebuilt I have used a tourqe multiplier tool. It's a gear to gear torque increase tool. Example 75ftlbs in 750 lbs out. Concerning the wobble, your on the right track with the springs. My guess is the new springs were about 1/2 inch or taller than the wore out springs. Next culprit is tie rod ends ,drag link, bottom bearing and then last the kingpin. There's actually a fix for adjusting spring tension on theses 60's, low tech is shimming the spring. High tech they make a replacement top for the springs with a set nut and bolt that screws down force on the spring kinda like a set screw.
VETERAN AND LIFETIME NRA MEMBER. WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR?
1991 V3500 CREWCAB SRW 454TBI GMC
1991 v3500 crewcab SRW 454tbi 480le 6" lift
1990 V3500 crewcab Dana 60 FF 14b 5:38 ratio 40 inch 11" lift
1989 v3500 crewcab 454TBI 5" lift

Offline Engineer

On the two Dana60s I rebuilt I used the bubba method......Haha!

Here is how I did it:

I used my SnapOn 1" drive 7/8 Allen driver ($$$$$), and standard 3/4" drive breaker bar, with my SnapOn 3/4"~1" adapter. (more $$$$$$)

Then I used a 6' cheater pipe. Using a standard bathroom scale I pushed against the bathroom scale which was pushing against the 6' end of the cheater pipe. When the bathroom scale read, and would hold 100# I stopped. Voila, 600 ft/lbs.

After many miles none have came loose. Red loctite doesn't hurt either....
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline Engineer

As pholliday said, I shimmed the springs on the bushings.

There is also a company that makes a bronze bushing that replaces the nylon Spicer OE piece.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
You could probably have an extension made with a receiver for your torque wrench!  A torque wrench is no magical mysterious device!  torque is simply a force applied at a distance.  200 lb-ft is 200 lb applied at a distance of 1 ft from the fulcrum...or 100 lb applied at a 2 ft. distance.

You said that you have a 200 lb-ft torque wrench.  In order to apply 600 lb-ft of torque you need a longer lever arm.

The formula to determine that is: wrench setting = desired torque x wrench length / (wrench length + extension length)

So...if you have say an 18", 200 lb torque wrench and you need to apply 600 lb-ft of torque you would need to have at least a 36" extension with your torque wrench set to 200 lb-ft.

200 lb-ft = 600 lb-ft x 18"/(18" + 36")
idk if this is true or not in my mine the tq wrench will still trip at 200 ft lbs. it would just take less weight to make it trip

but on the side note i did see one of those tq multiplier the other day on the snap on truck

Offline fitz

The new springs were about 1/2 longer than the old ones. The old bushings didn't look worn (I was hoping  they would be shot so that would fix it). I took the truck down for the state safety inspection today (no emissions needed) and it passed. The inspector said everything in the front end looked good. He said the drag link had a tiny amount of play but that it was within spec. I just went to Napa and ordered 2 drag link ends and the adjuster sleave.
  As far as the bronze sleeves go, l looked into them but they are only recommended for off road use. I'm gonna try shimming the springs with washers to see if that helps, but not sure if that's just masking other problems.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
what about shocks? i know my impala has bad struts and shes all over the place with even the slightest bump