Author Topic: Crossmembers  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Dirka

Crossmembers
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »
I'm about to put my TH350 and NP203 back under my 77K10 and I'm curious If I should have another crossmember under rear end of the transfer case?
I currently just have the one that the transmission mounts to.

Thanks!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Crossmembers
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:45:27 PM »
the adapter plate between the transfer case and trans should have ears on it for a cross member and should be the only one used
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Dirka

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:52:58 PM »
Thanks Irish! Now should I put them together first and then raise up under truck? Or what's the best way to go about that?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:11:03 PM »
well it all depends on your help. i know just getting the trans in place by yourself is fun let alone an adapter and tcase. since the mount is on the adapter i would put that in the trans get that all bolted in place then lift the tcase into place.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 11:15:40 PM »
also you can use longer bolt on the trans to engine to help line everything up then switch them out with the regular size bolts

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 11:55:31 PM »
Please have someone else there to help you Dirka, even if it is just to run the jack. I bolted trans, adapter, crossmember and T case together on the floor . I used the jack under the crossmember to lift the whole thing. Be very careful as this part is always tricky due to the uneven weight. I also used a really long 3/8 extension  with a flex joint at the socket end for the transmission bolts. When I say long, I mean it went almost back to the adapter in length. As I recall there is more room to run the ratchet when you get that far back.If you have the external flex joint swivel, wrap a couple of layers of electric tape around it to stiffen it up. If you have access to a long frame floor jack then I suggest that as well. Do not get in a hurry and above all be safe. Watch your hands and back. If it falls off the jack, get away from it, do not try to catch it. Just lower the jack and reposition.

As a side note, I did the very same thing to my truck over 30 years ago and I very well remember how difficult it was. Good luck and take your time.
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline Dirka

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 08:08:38 AM »
Thanks you two!
I did forget to mention the engine is also not in the truck, would that change anything? Order wise?
I really like what Don5 had to say about trans, adapter, transfer case, and crossmember all hooked up as one.

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 01:33:06 PM »
 I have done it both ways with different transmissions/ T cases. I think putting the transmission in first is a little easier if you can believe that. Not that any of this is easy mind you. I would much rather pull an engine than pull a transmission/ T case any day of the week. The reason that I say that is because when you install the engine you can use a engine  tilter/leveler with a crank on the end. This makes installing an engine ALOT easier.  There are no shortcuts to installing a transmission/T case except using a long frame floor jack and maybe having another jack under the front of the transmission. If you install the trans first, make sure the front of the trans is supported even after the crossmember is bolted in. I always used a broom handle between the hood hinges and tied a piece of wire from it to a bolt hole in the trans. My truck is lifted so I had to do this. You can also use a jack with a piece of wood under it as well.

Here is another thing to think about FWIW. Maybe I have led a sheltered life, but I personally do not know of anyone that has permanently been injured changing an engine out. I do know of two people that have hurt themselves changing a transmission/ T case out. In both cases they were doing the same exact swap you are doing in their garages. In both cases the trans/ T case slipped off of the jack. Both of these guys tried to catch it as a reflex.

One guy had his left hand crushed between the floor and transmission. He decided that he wasn't going to the hospital until after the job was done. He didn't get to the hospital until about 4 hours later. Stupid. He lost about 1/2 inch off the tips of four fingers due to the fact they were crushed and blood could not flow into them.  :o

The second guy was able to get partially under it and slow it down on the way to the floor. The only problem was that he was the cushion. :o It messed his back up. I think he was maybe lying on his side. I am not sure but anyways he hurt his back.

Now were both of these guys idiots ? Well I happen to think one was in any event. But the fact remains that both guys had a life changing accident doing the very same thing you are going to do. The reason that I even told you about these guys is that I want you to just be aware of how easy it is to get seriously hurt. Now you know why I said to please be careful. Have plenty of room around the truck so you will have someplace to go if the trans slips off the jack. Do Not try to catch it or slow it down if it slips off the jack. Let it go. Get away from it until after it hits the ground. Take your time and be careful. I would also use two jacks if possible.

I look forward to hearing that the engine and transmission are in the truck and it is running.  ;D     
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline Dirka

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
Thanks Don5! I will def use two jacks, that's what I used to get them down, I had help of course, one guy altering the jacks lowering the ends as I balanced the assembly so as it would not fall off, which was easier as the engine had already been removed =)
I saw a video online last night of two guys using a pair of straps to hoist the xsfer case up, I may add that in just to be extra careful and maybe that will help keep it balanced on the jacks.
Anyways I will be posting final pictures and sound clips once it's all done! Couple weeks away yet, as I can't get over to shop to work on it till next thursday. Monday the 13th is my goal  :D :D :D

Offline Dirka

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 07:54:30 PM »
Update pictures