Author Topic: Undercarriage rust  (Read 2341 times)

Offline angies86c10

Undercarriage rust
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:11:50 PM »
I bought my 86 c-10 off of an owner who didnt really take very good care of the underneath and there's quite a bit of rust down there. whats the best way to take car of that? taking it to be blasted off was my first idea, dont know how much itd cost tho. ifd anyone knows approximate costs or other alternatives id be so appreciative\!!
Angela

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Undercarriage rust
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:54:39 PM »
Welcome from New Hampshaa Angela, Removing the bed and painting the frame with Chassis Saver will do wonders.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline angies86c10

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 09:41:29 AM »
ohh ok. glad to be here from ontario :) ....so you're saying dont bother getting the rust off just painting overtop of it? Wouldnt it be better to get it off first? And what exactly is this chassis saver i always hear about?

Offline JRConnieK10

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 09:04:13 PM »
I believe what he's saying is with the chassis saver you can usally scrap off the loose scally rust then
 just paint over it.
'85 K10 LWB 350/SM465
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 11:04:08 PM »
Well I should have gone into more detail. Needle scaling works the best to remove the lose rust. Chassis Saver is designed to paint over tightly adhered rust.
http://www.streetperformance.com/writereviewsp.php?sku=311
It is the same as POR 15. I have used both and they both work excellent.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs