Author Topic: High speed shimmy.  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Chadwick717

High speed shimmy.
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »
Hi all, my 79 k10 with a np203 and a part time kit has a shimmy starting around 55 mph.  It also has a 350 with a th-350.  The previous owner told me about the shimmy and he said he had the tires balanced and the truck aligned and it didn't help. It wasn't to bad when I first got the truck, but now I feel like it is getting worse.  It seems to come and go, and it gets worse the longer you drive the truck.

I understand that these aren't 75 mph trucks, but I would like to cruise along between 55-60 without it shaking. I'm going to get the wheels and tires balanced again, and then my next step was going to be unbolting the front drive shaft and drive without it and see if that was the problem. Is this a good first step or am I going in the wrong direction?  I know it could be any number of things, I just want to narrow it down to the most common problems.  Oh it has the stock suspension setup as well.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: High speed shimmy.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »
I've had the drive shaft slip yoke be the cause of a shimmy
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:51:25 AM »
I've had the drive shaft slip yoke be the cause of a shimmy

The front rotors can also cause a shimmy.  When you have your tires done, have them check for any out of round issues with the tire itself.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Chadwick717

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »
As far as the rotors go there is no shimmy while braking, so I was thinking they were not warped.  Interesting about the slip yoke though.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »
Although tire pressure and runout should have been checked at the time the wheels were aligned, don't take it for granted that they were.  Check tire pressures then inspect the tires for radial runout and separations.  While you're there you can just as easily check axial runout of the rims.  In other words, make sure there are no bubbles or distortions in the tires and the rims aren't bent.

You can check radial runout by raising the wheel off the ground and positioning the saddle of a jack stand against the tire tread so that it just barely touches the tread.  Spin the wheel as you watch the gap between the stand and the tire.  The gap should remain consistent the entire circumference of the tire. 

Check axial runout by placing the stand near the bead wall of the rim so that it almost touches the bead wall without interfering with wheel weights.  Spin the wheel and watch the gap for consistency. 
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Chadwick717

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »
Thanks bd, this is good advice.