Author Topic: New member and first questions (with pictures)!  (Read 5014 times)

Offline billh1963

New member and first questions (with pictures)!
« on: December 01, 2012, 04:12:39 PM »
Hi!
My son is graduating from Parris Island in a couple of weeks and as a present for my new Marine I bought him a truck. The truck is a 1976 K-10 stepside. The truck has a new crate engine, rebuilt TH350, rebuilt NP205 transfer case, rebuilt axles, and a new Rough Country suspension with 2" lift kit. The cosmetics are tired so I have just put on new Firestone Destinations and am having the truck painted and a new interior installed over the next few days.

I have a couple of questions about some minor repairs I am doing on my own:

1. What emblems would this truck have had on the front fenders? The dash says Silverado. So, looking at Brother or  , which emblem is correct?
2. The wipers do not park when I turn them off. Is that a switch or some other problem?
3. At around 50 mph the speedometer starts jumping and making strange noises in the dash. I am thinking speedometer cable?
4. I've been doing a search on the forum looking for "typical" problems. Since the drivetrain is mostly new, anything else i need to look at while I'm in there?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Pics of the truck below!

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: New member and first questions (with pictures)!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:26:40 PM »
     Very nice step side.  What a great dad for buying your son this truck.
      In the 73 - 87 section, under the technical pages.  In the search window type " gm tech info in PDF form" , then use the link to go to the heritage site on our trucks.  Just look up year and model and will give you all kinds of great stuff.
     Are your wipers controlled by vacuum, or electric ?
     Your right on about the speedometer cable, probably worn or dry. ( being dry inside the casing will cause them to bounce ).
      And lastly, welcome to the site from California.

#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline slammed79

• Thou shalt not drive stock
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 05:28:26 PM »
Nice looking stepper!

Stay away from the initials guys, junk products most of the time, at least in my experience. Go with Brothers or the store attached to the forum.

Welcome from Arizona!
74 C10 Long bed 350/SM465 Lowered on 20's

Praise the lowered

Offline billh1963

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 05:41:10 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I assume the wipers are electric....it looks like it has a regular electric wiper motor.

I didn't know that about  ...I have seen them advertise for years. i assumed they were okay  :(
Now I know!

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:45:29 PM »
     If your wipers are electric, then the first thing I would suspect would be the switch.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline ralphhemi

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »
 :) ;) :D Nice truck , i hate to disagree with bake 74  but i think it is the motor in the automatic parking switch which is part of the motor  Welcome from Vermont 
Ralphhemi

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 11:29:34 AM »
What a Dad! In the glove box it should state the trim the truck was originally outfitted with. The wiper issue is most likely the motor. Sounds like the cable needs to be replaced. Looks like you need to post pics of the progress. Great truck!
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Jason S

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 12:59:43 AM »
That's a very nice truck. I want to send my appreciation to your son for his service. 

Just going off memory, there are a set of contacts (similar to points) under a plastic cover on the outside of the wiper motor assembly which can get corroded or simply worn out.  Sometimes, lightly sanding the contacts will allow the motor to go back to park. 

As for the speedometer cable, ditto to what the others said.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 07:17:07 AM »
:) ;) :D Nice truck , i hate to disagree with bake 74  but i think it is the motor in the automatic parking switch which is part of the motor  Welcome from Vermont

No worries, we are all here to learn, and I do not know everything.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom