Author Topic: junk yard transmission help  (Read 13498 times)

Offline 1980c10

Re: junk yard transmission help
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 11:59:26 PM »
     If you do eventually do a nv swap, it would be great if you took lots of pics and did a write up.  I was hoping to do one after I do my 74.  ( I am putting a A833 O/D out of a 84 into my 74 k10 right now ).
I have some pics of the swap in my build thread. To keep it simple you really should have the hyrdraulic pedal assembly but I have gotten by without one before.
When all is said and done the swap is a little intimidating but after doing one it was so simple and straight forward. The hardest part was bleeding the line between the clutch and slave cylinder.
remember that you most likely need to have a driveshaft modified-in my case I had one built just to get rid of the 2 piece configuration-although I could have used it.

Offline f-100

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 07:38:35 PM »
Thanks for the info, what do I have to search for to find your thread. Having a hard time find an m20 or other 4 speed, a few 3 speeds. One guy on cls had an m20 used for 850.00, might as well buy a used nv4500 for that price. Only reason I was asking about sm 420 there was a guy that had a fresh rebuilt for 75.00. Did some research not really what I want.

Going to hit the junkyard later this week, never know what I'll find. Maybe a nice nv4500 or an m20.

Oh did you have to fix the nut inside that keeps a gear from moving, can't remenber which one. Seems to be a common problem. Some people have welded the nut in place but to me that does not seem like a good idea. If you fixed how did you go about it,thanks

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »
To clarify I installed the nv3500 in my truck but it is the same clutch linkage set up that you'll need to do and everthing else is ver similar. The nv3500 was used in half ton p/u's behind engines up to a 350 and the nv4500 was used in heavier duty applications in 3/4ton + p/u's
I believe the desired nv3500 is 93+ but I'd have to check it to make sure
Here is the thread
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,12330.msg93029.html#msg93029
nv4500's get grabbed up prety quick
The nv3500 is a better suited transmission gearing wise for a cruiser that doesn't tow and can be had for about 400(it has a car like taller 1st gear). I got mine for 400 with a fresh rebuild but do look for a newer version as they have some of the problem areas worked out. I'm not exactly easy on mine; as I like to do the occasional burnout or whip the back end around in a parking lot my engine was dynoed at 393 hp, limited slip and fairly wide tires and its holding up just fine. If it doesn't then I'll just get a rebuild for 400 or maybe I'll stumble across a 4500. Either way I can do that a couple of times b4 I can afford the 4500. As of so far I haven't had any issues with the 3500 and really like the gearing. It really gets the truck moving.
I'm don't know anything about the nut that keeps a gear from moving but I'll let you know if I find out the hard way.
Like I said earlier if you find a hydraulic pedal assembly grab it up-btw when I did mine I also grabbbed the brake booster since it had to come off anyway and make a nice little upgrade.

Offline f-100

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »

Offline f-100

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 05:47:23 PM »
Nice truck, good build! I decide to go with the nv 3500 should fit my needs. Checked on the web and the junkyard I go to has plent of s-10's. I think it will be easier to find an nv 3500 than some of the others. Thanks for the helping me to decide on which tranny to go with. I will try to update once I find a tranny and start the install.

Offline f-100

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 10:04:13 PM »
Going back to junkyard this weekend. For the nv3500 install I will need flywheel,clutch,hydralic cable, and cross member from an sm465. Is that correct or i'm I missing something?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 01:35:44 AM »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline f-100

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 04:57:57 AM »
Ok thanks, still a little confused. I need hydralic slave and master cylinder, inside clutch petal set, flywheel I'll have to check. Clutch since my is a 10 spline. Bellhousing off an 8 cylinder with a nv3500 tranny. Assuming 6 cylinder won't fit my 350 engine. Oh cross member heard possible sm465 might work or do I have fabricate one. If anyone has done this swap could check my list please and let me know about the cross member, thanks.

I think my fllwheel might work, I have a 12 inch clutch in there now?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:06:52 AM by f-100 »

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »
You will need the slave cylinder and clutch cylinder. I recomend buying them new as the seals may be bad if they have sat for long. They are not really expensive.
For the line I picked up the end that goes into the slave from a slavage yard as I couldn't find anywhere to buy the unique end(it is attached with a roll pin). Then I used a new brake line and flared it on both peices and used a union to put them together(the brakeline end will match the clutch cylinder).
You can use a clutch cylinder matched to an 85 1/2 ton pick up.
The slave cylinder will need to be from whatever donor vehicle the trans comes from.
Your flywheel will work.
Match up a new clutch that would have been for the donor vehicle.
The bell housing is integrated with the trans.
I dont know if your crossmember will be any differant than the sm465. The best way to approach this is to bolt up the trans and see how things line up. On the sm465 crossmember it has to be moved back about an inch or so and you will need to drill some new holes as well. It pretty easy to see what you need to do when you get it in there.

Offline f-100

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »
Ok thanks. The slave cylinder comes from an 85.5 1/2 ton, will I need a new clutch petal and the rod that goes to the master cylinder from an 85.5. My system is not hydralic can I use/modify my clutch petal or woudl it be easier  to get one from an 85.5. I'm guess I need to get petal  and rod from an 85.5 then buy a new master cylinder.

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 09:33:49 PM »
The slave cylinder will need to be matched from whatever donor vehicle the trans comes from-this you can get new.

The push rod is part of the clutch(master cylinder) this you can get new its just one part.

Get the pedal assembly from a donor vehicle if you can; it has additional support rods. In a pinch your can work but it won't work as good or be as dependable.

You'll also need to get the fluid resiviour from the 85 or newer donor truck

Look for photos from page 5 of my build thread.

Offline f-100

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,20862.msg171060.html#msg171060

Found an old thread with some of your pics in it, makes things more clear. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:00:16 PM by f-100 »