Author Topic: What order to replace parts?  (Read 5677 times)

Offline kmanrsss

What order to replace parts?
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here. Picked up an 87 v20 that needs floor patch, cab corners and rockers. What's the best order to do these in? I'm new to body work but am goons give it a shot. I've already gotten the replacement kits from this site, and they seem like nice quality peices. Thanks for the input.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: What order to replace parts?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »
The correct way is to replace them all at the same time.
Does your cab mount need any work?
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:14:04 PM »
Remove the seat, floor mat, inner, and outer fenders. Cut out all the bad leaving the floor support that runs by the cab mount providing its not rotted out too. Trim the new pieces to fit and use self tapping hex head screws to hold everything in place to check for fitment of each of the parts, and the door.
If you do a search on this site in the body section you will find a couple articles on this process, with pics provided by myself and others.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline kmanrsss

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:40:36 PM »
The cab mounts look ok. I have looked at your post and will be using in when I attemp this. Where in NH are you located? I'm just outside concord near Loudon. Are the fenders in the way, or is it easier to get them out of the way? Thanks

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »
I've already gotten the replacement kits from this site
We already like you just because of that!  ;D

I have looked at your post and will be using in when I attemp this.
There is no better person to take advise from for fixing a rusted out 73-87 from NH than Blazin!

Welcome to the site from NH also.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »
Step one: Check your cab mounts (rubbers) & replace as needed. Step Two: Check hinge pins & bushings, replace if needed. Align the door if needed for the best fit to the A-pillar, roof & cab corner. If everything looks good gap wise, I weld a bar from front to back on the INSIDE of the pinchwelds just below the bulge in the door for the trim panel. This keeps the cab in shape while the bad stuff is cut out & allows you to open & close the door for checking fitment & welding. Keep in mind...often, the cab spreads (bottom of the cowl goes forward) from the weight of the door if there is any real amount of rot to the inner, outer rocker &/or floor support. The easiest way to correct this is to use a come-a-long from the top of the cowl area down to the rad. support mount area & give it a few clicks.  Sometimes the bottom needs pulled back also. When everything is good...Weld in the bar.
I start with the cab mount support if needed only removing an inch of floor on each side of it (if there is any left), then do the outer rocker, then the inner, followed by the cab corner. Now the cab is solid & stable again...cut the bar out & remove the floor & replace.
 Keeping in mind, the outer rocker is the only part that really has to line up with anything. Take the time to get it in the correct place! Once it's in the correct place, the rest is just filling in the blanks, inner rocker, cab corner & floor just close up the gaps. If your truck isn't too far gone, cut the rocker in the jamb like ___]               [___   not using the upper portions. The curved areas often lead to problems with fitment. If your in question, stop & research, ask or whatever...then cut, weld, ect. Hope This Helps, Lorne

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
I am in Danbury N.H., the intersections of NH Rt. 4, and US Rt. 104. About 10 or 12 miles east of Newfound Lake.
My niece and her husband live just off Pitsfield Rd. about a mile in fro 129 in Loudon.
So Thirsty, that makes three of us from New Hampshaa! We are gaining on em.

Offline kmanrsss

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 05:16:23 AM »
Thanks guys. Wow blazin small world I live off of Loudon rd in Pittsfield which is the Pittsfield end of the rd your niece lives off of.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »
My niece and her husband live just off Pitsfield Rd. about a mile in fro 129 in Loudon.
So Thirsty, that makes three of us from New Hampshaa! We are gaining on em.
Thanks guys. Wow blazin small world I live off of Loudon rd in Pittsfield which is the Pittsfield end of the rd your niece lives off of.

Small world indeed. That makes 3 of us linked to the road that kmanrsss lives on! My sister lives on Pittsfield Rd. in Loudon too.

kmanrsss have you ever seen this jeep in Loudon? I built it for one of my old wheeling buddies a few years ago. It's 5 different jeeps...lol

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 10:08:54 AM »
The 5 piece cab kit in the online store references this post which has some good picture references in it:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=5661.0

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »
Now you just can't make this stuff up!! lol   ;D

Offline kmanrsss

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »
Thirsty, I haven't seen the jeep that I know of, but I've never been a huge fan so they don't typically catch my eye.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 04:03:41 PM »
It's on School St. or what is left of it now anyways. It was a few years ago that I did it and he drove it every winter. I think he parked it now and drives an s10.

Offline kmanrsss

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »
You know now that you mention it, that's right off 106 right? Over the bridge by the dang and the jeep is in the funky triangle intersection right?