Author Topic: Cruise control and Autometer speedometer  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Texas4x4Burb

• New Users
Cruise control and Autometer speedometer
« on: March 29, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »
I'm having trouble finding some information on my cruise control. I'm going to be installing an Autometer electronic speedo into my 1985 Suburban. I want to retain the cruise control but I'm not sure how to wire it up. The factory sensor for the cruise is the optical type in the back of the stock speedometer that is hooked to a buffer/amplifier. The speedometer has a signal out that I think might work in place of the stock optical sensor but I'm not sure where the signal needs to go to make it work.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Cruise control and Autometer speedometer
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »
i would also get a hold of autometer and ask them if its even possible. they should be able to tell you if they dont know then i wouldnt use it
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Texas4x4Burb

• New Users
Re: Cruise control and Autometer speedometer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »
I did a little more research and I'm pretty sure it would work. However the stock sensor is 2 pulses per rev of the speedo cable. The autometer sender is 16 pulses per rev. That will throw the electronic control into thinking your going way faster than you really are.