Author Topic: simple drop? pics?  (Read 17260 times)

Offline shortchevy84

simple drop? pics?
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:45:29 PM »
hi all, i have a 84 swb chev, and i am looking to drop it a little. i have seen some pics but i want to do it properly, not cutting of springs and so on. i want to keep the rake look that i have. i've seen a few pics of a 3/5 drop and that looks ok, but i want to know whats the easiest kit for install, (brand and type of spindle drop springs and shackles/flip kits etc) that will give me the least greif. if you have any pics, it would be much appreciated. i live in canada and all parts would come from the US, so i don't want to be sending parts back and forth, paying customs and what not. i would prefer not to remove any leafs either if i can help it. that may be a last case scenario for acheiving the exact look i want. thanks for any input!

andrew

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
Re: simple drop? pics?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »
There are a few of us in Canada. And you can get the kits for cheap......for a simple drop just get some shackles and hangers and a drop spindle. Don't need to be brand specific, seeing as they are all pretty much the same thing. Up here you can prolly get the bell tech kit for less than $600. But depending where you live, there is prolly a truck shop or accessories shop near that can get it.....no brokerage/duty and if something isn't right.....they are right there. Let them deal with those headaches.

Ryan

Offline shortchevy84

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 05:23:52 PM »
yeah for sure, let someone else deal with the headaches.

anyway, i measured, and i was thinking of about a 3/3 drop or a 3/4 drop. i don't want to have to do any notching of the frame if possible, and still use it as a daily driver. i have 16" aftermarket rims(not sure of dimensions, probably 6x9, and not sure of backspacing) i want to keep this as simple as possible, without having to purchase new rims. Tires, although 16's, looked to keep pretty close to the stock height when i swapped them. i'm thinking 2" spindles and a 1" spring drop for the front. do i need drop shocks as well? and for the rear, is a flip kit doable for 4 inches? i would rather go less than 4 if this is not possible, as opposed to more, cuz i don't quite want the level look, nor do i want the front end higher than the rear. if i have to use hangers and shackles in the rear, i would rather not have to notch the frame, but if it is what has to be done then so be it. any thoughts and pics, let me know!! thanks

Offline jwo396

• New Users
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 07:36:27 PM »
Hi. I am in the same boat. I want a simple drop, nothing too big, keeping the correct geometry within the front suspension, and maintain a slight rake. I am thinking of a 2/4 drop, two inch drop spindles in the front with something in the rear. not sure how to go about dropping the rear end, drop shackles and hangers or flip kit? I am not wanting to start notching the frame or anything that major. Thanks.

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »
This is prolly your best bet for what you guys are wanting.

1973-87 truck, 2 1/2" front, 4" rear drop kit. Includes a set of our high performance front 2 1/2" drop spindles and a pair of front 2" rear leaf spring drop hangers and hardware to install on frame plus a pair of rear leaf spring 2" drop shackles. Specify in cart if equipped with 1" or 1 1/4" front rotors. Manufactured by McGaughy's. Suggested Retail $595.00

http://www.gmcpauls.com/springs_&_drop_suspension.htm

Ryan

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:16:58 PM »
I sell McGaugy's kits on this site.  They are just not listed as there are to many variables.

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »
I sell McGaugy's kits on this site.  They are just not listed as there are to many variables.

They make a great product.....fit and finish is one of the best out there. If we got part numbers, you would be able to give a quote eh cap? How bout shipping to the frozen north, who do you use?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »
If you have PN's I can get prices if they are listed.  The spindles are listed.  I am pretty much in line with most people on pricing.  They come out of a supplier.  I honestly don't know who they use.  I think UPS.

Offline shortchevy84

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 03:47:55 PM »
alright new plan, i bought an 86 already dropped with an original body no rust, shy of one ding on the front fender, original paint, no rust on frame and only 97000 miles on it. thanks for the replys though

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 05:28:02 PM »
Well, lets see some pics
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Eight5-C-10

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »
I have an 85 SWB, it bought it used but it has 3" drop coils and a flip kit which lowers it about 5" in the back. The best way to lower a vehicle is using drop spindles. Keeps the same suspension setup but is more expensive than drop coils. Drop Coils are a cheap way to lower a vehicle but that changes your geometry so you need to get lowered shocks if going lower than 2". Any brand are pretty good since they are the same. Check out the pic of my truck. It sits on 22's and the front is slightly lower than the back but you can't really tell on this pic my driveway is on a slope. As it stands the rear frame sits on the rear axle cant go any lower without c-notching with the 22's.

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 06:50:30 PM »
The frame sitting on the axle is not a real good thing. Might consider putting that c notch in. Id hate to see anything happen to that beautiful truck, or you for that matter.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Chevalade

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 08:45:24 PM »
Something doesn't sound right.....just a flip kit, and your frame is on your axle? Your springs must be shot if this is the case.

Offline 82ChebySWB

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 08:57:54 PM »
As it stands the rear frame sits on the rear axle cant go any lower without c-notching with the 22's.

Let me make a suggestion......

First, torch off those original bump stops and the brackets for them from the frame. THEN buy a pair of polyurethane 3/4" bump stops and drill one small hole on each rear frame rail and mount those stops and you'll soon have about 3 1/2" of frame/axle clearance.

At least that's what I did with mine and it worked out PERFECTLY.
Brian

'82 Chevy Silverado AKA Project "Cheby"

Offline Eight5-C-10

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 11:02:14 AM »
I actually don't have a flip kit. The last owner dropped it by removing the leaf springs, I don't know what I was thinking. It bounce from the back pretty bad especially after rebuilidng the front end. I will be cutting the back bump stop and replacing the shocks with air shocks for now. Thanks fro the heads up.