Author Topic: Chevy with a Detroit, and twin sticks!  (Read 6532 times)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline bmaier

• Registered Users
Re: Chevy with a Detroit, and twin sticks!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 12:44:22 AM »
that is some sweet shiftin. i got confused though...how do you know when to shift and which shifter to shift?
Are you just gonna lay there and bleed or are you gonna cowboy up?

1979 Chevy Bonanza K10, Shortbox, 350/350, 4" lift, 35's
1979 Chevy Silverado C10, Shortbox, 305/350

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 01:25:34 PM »
It is a little confusing;  It appears that the longer stick is the main trans, while the shorter stick is the auxillary trans.  The aux trans is sort of like having a 2-speed rear diff.  So really, in this case, the aux stick could be left in high all the time and you would only have to mess with the longer main stick since we are not dealing with a lot of weight and we have 400lbs torque.

Or the aux could be left in low, then we go thru 1-4 on the main trans and only shift the aux trans into high when we get into top cruising gear?

Offline joesgarage71

• Wrench
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 07:49:02 PM »
Ya hes doing it right. Thats a truck drivers truck! I don't really see his left foot move. Hes good, hitting the sweet spot on every shift.
  Kool truck
78' K-20 355/SM465/twin stick 205 6" on 36's
14 bolt FF/big bearing Dana 44 4.56 gears

92' GMC C-1500 454/4L80E/14 bolt

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:40:48 PM »
He is splitting the gears. He doesn't split the ones that would make no difference by shifting one to hi, the other to low, or visa versa.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:12:54 AM »
Really been toying with http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/rangeroverdrive.htm for my 85, basically the same.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline smitty77

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »
I once ran shotgun with a guy driving an old Mack R-model with a quadbox, and I tell ya it gets real interesting downshifting with a load on.  The "wrap your arm through the wheel and shift with two hands" trick was amazing.  The guy in that vid knows how to shift for sure.....

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 09:27:49 AM »
They have some sweet stuff.

Offline 79K20

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 10:11:26 AM »
I once ran shotgun with a guy driving an old Mack R-model with a quadbox, and I tell ya it gets real interesting downshifting with a load on.  The "wrap your arm through the wheel and shift with two hands" trick was amazing.  The guy in that vid knows how to shift for sure.....

Roger that. I once "tried" to drive a Mack dual-shifter quadbox... It wasn't pretty. Lots of grinding and lurching. Then the guy showed my how it was supposed to be driven, truly an art form if you ask me. Those guys have talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhPcDMGRxw&feature=related

Good thing they built 'em tuff back then, so they could handle amateurs like myself without fragging little chunks of gear tooth everywhere. ;)

Offline friendlytruck

• altitude !^^^!
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 01:29:07 AM »
Cool semi power ;D ;D i think wood work in a 18Wheeler?
Ap riy= [Cha d’fhuaireadh facal Beurla mar Scottish Gaelic]
Life is short gory is eternel

Offline Just-speed

• 84K10 350/700r4
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 07:59:08 AM »
WOW!   Sweet power plant to have in a nicer truck.  Great video
Let GM go belly up! I got what I wanted. Thanks for building the best truck ever.

Offline smitty77

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 01:26:45 PM »

Roger that. I once "tried" to drive a Mack dual-shifter quadbox... It wasn't pretty. Lots of grinding and lurching. Then the guy showed my how it was supposed to be driven, truly an art form if you ask me. Those guys have talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhPcDMGRxw&feature=related

Good thing they built 'em tuff back then, so they could handle amateurs like myself without fragging little chunks of gear tooth everywhere. ;)
Thanks for the link.  I'd love to see most of today's CDL drivers try to operate a rig like that.

We have a guy that works for us (he's in his 70s) who resisted for 10 years switching from his trusty 76 Mack R-model to the newer CH series.  Finally they made him do it by taking his old steed off the road.  When I asked him what he thought of his "new" ride, a 2006 CH Mack:  "It's nice to finally have AC and air-ride suspension.  And it feels like it has double the power, which is good because I haven't figured out how to downshift the thing!  I hate those new-fangled air-shift transmissions.  I like the feel of a mechanical shift."  He's since figured it out, but it was funny at the time.

Offline friendlytruck

• altitude !^^^!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 07:48:44 PM »
thats Right cus my dad can shift it but the newer ones, just aren't made the same. the favorite ones are is 1 FLD freightliner 2 purple eater and the worst is a Volvo.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:50:17 PM by friendlytruck »
Ap riy= [Cha d’fhuaireadh facal Beurla mar Scottish Gaelic]
Life is short gory is eternel