Author Topic: Open Plenum vs closed  (Read 1529 times)

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Open Plenum vs closed
« on: June 21, 2024, 12:28:18 PM »
I cracked a Qjet off a 60's GM motor, and found it is not an open plenum.

The primaries are isolated, the secondaries, have a common space in the gasket.

There appears to be a notch in each primary toward the front of the carb, it joins the two via the space between the primaries.

Problem is the closed plenum gasket is not to be found locally.

Question: Does it matter?
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Open Plenum vs closed
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 06:52:06 AM »
I was hoping for a historical observation, as the industry did a lot of things back then for various reasons.

Must be a stupid question. Thanks.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 04:35:48 PM »
 :P

The OEM gasket is probably half the thickness of the newer generation gaskets, too.  A proper kit should come with a new base gasket.  As long as manifold vacuum isn't ported to atmosphere because of base gasket differences, I doubt you will noticeably forfeit any performance.  Why don't you post some pics of the carburetor inverted with the old gasket in position? 
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2024, 01:18:58 AM »
by open plenum do you mean single plane?

by closed plane do you mean dual plane?

if so single plane is for higher rpm with higher flow but at the cost of worse off the line low rpm acceleration.

Dual plane is for higher fuel mixture velocity at lower rpms like off the line acceleration.

If you wanna see an interesting intake manifold from back in that time period check out the offenhauser "dual port sbc" intake.  read the ads so they can explain how it was supposed to work.  they never caught on but should explain a lot of the whats and why about it.   or lookup single plane vs dual plane intake manifolds.
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2024, 08:58:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

Looks like I'll need my thinking cap for your questions-still have one around 'I think'. Offenhauser made some 'out there' stuff!

Recap- GM Qjet, split, isolated intake ports. Right side sitting on a higher 'plane' than the left IIRC.

L & R primaries and secondaries, determined by the intake manifold, are isolated from each other.

In later models of Qjets, the base gasket commons all the intake ports by virtue of its open design. They are also very thick, which allows for a slight swirly swirl cross contamination (sic) of fuel/air before being devoured by the maw of a huge V8.

This is an earlier model, '66, and my question centered on whether to go with the stock, thin, isolating gasket, over the common, open, thick base gasket. BTW, the two secondaries of this gasket are common, though the swirly action must be greatly reduced due to the skinny profile.

Wondering if there were any historical prospective on why they chose to isolate the primaries, rather then the more common, current approach?

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2024, 12:18:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

This is an earlier model, '66, and my question centered on whether to go with the stock, thin, isolating gasket, over the common, open, thick base gasket. BTW, the two secondaries of this gasket are common, though the swirly action must be greatly reduced due to the skinny profile.

Wondering if there were any historical prospective on why they chose to isolate the primaries, rather then the more common, current approach?

I've run 4bbls both ways with open gasket and 4 hole gasket. on old chevy carbs and Quadra jets.  never could tell a difference 4 hole vs open.   thick vs thin gasket can make a difference though.  the thicker gasket keeps engine heat away from the carb better so your fuel doesn't boil, especially on intakes with a heat crossover. (make sure the valve in the exhaust for the crossover when cold is working properly)  It won't make any difference which gasket you use 4 hole vs open on a stock intake.  the thicker gasket will keep your fuel from boiling in hot environments.  If you live in the south (east or west)   I'd go for the thicker gasket.  You'll like it better in traffic on a 90 degree day.   

Google "fuel percolation".    On my 78 before I reran the fuel lines, while it was still using the stock fuel pump to carb hard line it would percolate.  I had to wrap the fuel line in an insulation from the pump to above the valve covers.   then it ran fine.   Thick gaskets for carbs do two things.  They isolate the carb from the engine heat better and they add a little bit to your plenum height which may help fuel atomization.  (maybe)  hehehe.
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2024, 01:00:01 AM »
Hey Kenny,

That is probably the most common sense answer to my goofy question: "What were they thinking, and if it mattered, why don't we know why?"

In defense of the ME's et al, there were pry some compelling arguments to make their case. Did the argument/sales pitch make it to ears that could hear, e.g. John Q Public?

Highly academic now, with little to reference a era where these little difference made a 'difference'.