Author Topic: Grief!  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
Grief!
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »

Just thought I'd share a quick update with y'all.

After getting the motor running I thought the home run was in sight.

How foolish can one be!!

I'd ordered lots of new bits over the last few months and had them shipped over here. The aggravation the last few days has really tested my patience as several are wrong.

Simple things have started to wind me up, is it an age thing??

Headlights, easy replacement. No, I ordered 7" units with the pilot hole (explain later) and the deep lugs that sit in the backing bowl. I now find the lugs aren't long enough so the unit site too far in the bowl and the securing ring is now too lose. And to top it off one of the little chrome brackets that screw down came off. Tried loads of places now to no avail so will prob try and solder a longer lug on or weld a plate on the backing bowl.

Brakes easy? No. ordered new front hoses from a reputable company over there with new banjo bolts and copper washers. Wrong washers, wrong bolts and the end of the hose that bolts to the caliper was too big to sit flush. Ended up using old bolts (cleaned!) acquired new washers and ground the end to sit flush against the caliper.

New servo. offered it up and yes it bolts on nicely however the outlets are too small for the original brake pipes to bolt in so wrong servo. It's more than 90 days old so I'm hoping they'll take it back. All the original packaging etc is present so fingers crossed.

Finally tonight, went to bolt prop up to g/box. Nice and easy, a two minute job? One of the bolts pulled through the thread. Drilled it out and nut & bolted it.

Copped the hump and called it a night. I've just sat down and done a snagging list and there's over 50 other jobs to do. Admittedly some of them should be ten minute jobs but after the last few days it should be finished this time next year.

grumble over thanks for listening!!

Andy
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t
454 750 Holley,TH350, 14bolt diff fully floating
Why aren't there 8 days in a week!
A K5 rolling shell *new addition*

Offline winky

Re: Grief!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »
i know how that feels.. was building an eclipse one time and the same thing kinda happened.. its just one of those nights you have to walk away from everything and get up the next day and try to settle all the problems (stuff tends to start flying for some reason when i dont just walk away ;) ) but it is even more aggravating like you said when your so close and you've been up all day expecting to get a lot done that night then nothing really ends up done and it just seems like you wasted all that time.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »
Did you get all this over here in the states?

I have the Roundeyes bright 7" replacement headlights, but they do require a little bucket surgery.

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:06:56 AM »
Chris, are the E approved? And bucket (bowl) or the bracket?
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »
with the bulb that comes with it is is legal in the US.  the bowl that is sits in where the ring holds it has to be modified some.

Offline Sartobuilt

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
FYI. I had to break the spot weld on my headlight rings and re weld them to make them smaller to hold the lamp tight in the bowl. This might help.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 12:17:06 AM »
     Bitzer, sorry to hear you are having problems with the build.  It must be a pain to import most of the stuff you need.  Though when done I bet you will enjoy it that much more because of all the hard work.  Keep it up and hang in there.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 02:41:25 AM »
Cheers guys, I will persevere and sort the problems it's just annoying! I'm pretty placid as a rule but it all got to me!

Quick example - an item over there costs $100. By the time I pay shipping and import taxes it ends up being nearer $200. Now that is rude!!

Think I'll try and modify the brackets on the new lights I have, I'm hoping it'll take a blob of weld if not I'll ressurect the soldering iron - wish me luck

Still waiting on a reply from Summit on the return. I emailed MP Brakes yesterday but yet to receive a reply.

Upwards and onwards, tomorrow's another day

Cheers all

Andy

1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »
Is there a difference between a C10 and C30 servo/master cylinder?
MP Brakes have replied but don't list a C30
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t