Author Topic: Gauge and "idiot light" sending units  (Read 9187 times)

Offline got2haul

• Frequent Member
Gauge and "idiot light" sending units
« on: April 11, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »
Hi.  Newbee here.  I own a 1980 C10 stepside.  It was built as a Custom Deluxe with a 6 cyl; factory 4-speed with granny low.  It's in pretty decent shape and runs fine.  I'm upgrading it to the Silverado level as I replace worn parts while rebuilding it.  It now has a 1981 305 V8.  

I'm not sure in which forum to ask this, so I thought I'd start here.  I'd like to replace the original dash light/speedometer/fuel gauge set with a factory gauge set.  Can anyone tell me if the factory sending units for the "idiot lights" are the same as used for gauges, or do I need to replace the sending units as well?

Thanks!

1980 Custom Deluxe Stepside
        Stepside thread: http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7505.0
1980 Silverado Short Bed Fleetside
1976 GMC Sierra Grande C15

Offline DnStClr

Re: Gauge and "idiot light" sending units
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »
Welcome to the site! Swapping to gauges can be sort of labor intensive.The sending units and the gauges have to be matched. When I swapped mine over to gauges, I had to get another gauge cluster, another printed circuit board, another cluster housing, and I had to repin (move) some of the electrical connector pins at the instrument panel. You will need a wiring schematic for your truck and I suggest buying a catalogue from   (competitor)
www. competitor.com
You can order on line.
I found most of my components on ebay. Kinda takes a lot of study to figure out where you are and where you need to go with your wiring repins. Chiltons and Haynes print repair manuals with wiring schematics.  
 But you will get a lot of good info from these gearheads  here. Go for it.

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline got2haul

• Frequent Member
swapping the lights for gauges
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
Thanks for that info.  I've already purchased quite a few parts through   -- very useful resource.  They can expect more sales from me in the future.

When you say you "... had to repin (move) some of the electrical connector pins at the instrument panel", can you be a little more specific?  Did you have to do this simply because you were using a non-standard circuit board for the guage set you installed?  I've been shopping eBay for a set and most that are advertised for sale come with the circuit board intact; I plan to buy one that does.  If this isn't what you meant, please explain?  How does one go about matching the sending unit to the gauge, except to ensure you install an oil pressure sending unit for your oil pressure gauge, a temperature sending unit for your temp gauge, etc.

Sorry if I sound ignorant in this matter -- I appologize, but I am.  Thanks again!

Stepside thread: http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=7505.0

Offline DnStClr

Re: swapping the lights for gauges
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »
No apologies needed here- I've typed plenty of stuff that's been corrected by the real mechanics, an they still keep allowing me to come back.
Anyway, when I looked at my wiring scematic for my 87, I found that the instrument panel was wired differently for the non-gauged than for the gauged panels for 1987. The printed circuit boards were different, So, in order to make my incoming wiring match the new circuit board, I had to move some of the pins in the 18 pin wiring connector at the instrument cluster.
   ie, I had to move the fuel signal from one location  in the connector to another location.
       Same with the oil sender signal, water temp signal, grounds, power (12volts) and geez, I can't remember all of them.
Oil Pressure- I had to replace my oil pressure sender ( previously mechanical), so I installed the new one at the plug above the oil filter, and lo and behold, a nearby wire proved to be the one I needed for the oil pressure signal! The old sender illuminated an idiot light, so I guess it was a switch rather than a sender.
Water Temp- I THINK I reused the same sender. I remember that the wire was green.
When I found the sending units in the   catalogue, they noted whether they were for a gauged or non-gauged truck.

Edited by: DnStClr at: 4/11/06 4:48 pm
Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: swapping the lights for gauges
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 06:03:00 PM »
What year is the guages out of?  What year is the idiot lights out of?  If they are close to the same year 1978 - 1981 they should swap easily.

As stated, the pins on the connector that plugs into the cluster will have to have some wires moved around.  You should be able to remove them with a small screw driver or awl.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline got2haul

• Frequent Member
Re: Gauge and "idiot light" sending units
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks!  I think I understand it now.  I appreciate you taking the time to explain it all for me!