Author Topic: Salvage Title  (Read 2385 times)

Offline 83HighSierra

Salvage Title
« on: November 12, 2008, 07:21:52 PM »
i just got a brand new 90s chevy 350 put into my 83 GMC sierra swb truck. I just wanted to get yall opinion on if i should keep upgrading it or trade/sell it since it has a salvage title.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Salvage Title
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:13:03 PM »
Is your truck the salvage or?

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:21:04 PM »
Are you hoping to make alot of money on it for resale? If the truck is nice, and safe to drive, then I personaly wouldnt care what kind of title it has. It can be tagged and driven on the street, so who cares. I am not a "number correct" person. I want what I like, and dont care how its titled. If you are building it for you, then keep on going.You prob got a good by on it since it has a salvage title, so it would cost more to replace it anyway. Just enjoy it.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »
Rules are different from state to state. Not knowing the laws in Texas & the exact meaning of "Salvage Title" in your state ...I caution this & have a few questions. Has this truck been registered, plated & insured since it has gotten the "Salvage" branding? Can a "Salvage" vehicle be re-registered in Texas?  In some states, once a vehicle is "salvage" the vehicle (vin number) can not be re-issued for registration. In some states, it's no big deal. Here in Pa, a "Salvage Certificate" is given for a vehicle that has gone through the "system" & depending on how it was "branded" (valueless except for junk, value under $500, over $500... ect.) all but the first one can be issued a "Reconstruced title" after jumping some hoops (State cert. inspection, invoices for parts, ect.) the vehicle can be registered, insured & driven. Check your local laws if your unsure before you proceed too far. As for getting rid of it just for the reason of the title wouldn't be a big deal to me either. Lorne     

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:06:48 PM »
From what I understand, here in Texas, you have to be liscensed as a rebuilder, before you can even buy a vehicle that can be rebuilt under the salvage title plan, or whatever you want to call it. Then, after the vehicle is rebuilt/repaired, it has to undergo strict state inspection to verify the safety of the repair. Then, the salvage rebuilder must register and insure the vehicle for a minimum of 1 month. Then the vehilce can be resold with a salvage title. It has to pass inspection before it is issued a title. The rebuilder gets a bill of sale type title, but cannot resale it until the repais have been made. I know this part, because my 85 SS Monte Carlo has. I wanted a SS monte, as long as it has a title that I can get it registered with/ I dont care if the title calls it scrap iron
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline 83HighSierra

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 08:03:34 PM »
by the way thanks guys for the insight. and i bought it off a hole in the wall lot when i was 17. on the title it states Rebuilt/Salvaged under the title type. The truck has tags and i drove it on the street before i started to put a new motor in it. i just didnt know whether i should get rid of it before i put more money in it or not.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 09:04:55 PM »
In Texas the plates go with the truck.  It probably was years ago when it was rebuilt.  If it has a current registration it is good to go.  Have fun with it. 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 09:08:50 PM »
Looks like a nice truck to me. I would keep it.All the title means is that the truck was totalled by an insurance company sometime in the past, and a rebuilder bought it and, well, rebuilt what was broke. Could have been something simple. For example, If the truck was rearended, the insurance would estimate the repairs using OEM parts, which we all know is high. If the repair would cost $2000, and the value of the truck was $1900, then it would be written off as a total loss. Someone with want to, can take the same truck and fix it for about $800. Just make sure what your insurance will cover on the truck. It is hard to get full coverage on a truck that has a salvage title with some insurance companies, if you just run liability, not sweat.
86 C30 extended crewcab