Author Topic: Newbie with Questions?  (Read 19430 times)

Offline tx5.7travel

Re: Newbie with Questions?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »
Thanks for all your input but I finally got the answer I wanted, well sort of. After taking the advice from this site and from DJM techs, I called Godfather Customs and they found the problem, they had a misprint! I spoke with John and the supervisor, named Tom, and they helped me out with getting every thing straight. The kit was originally suppose to have every thing but spindles, after telling them I would rather have the spindles over the control arms, they worked it out on getting my order corrected and REFUNDING me some extra cash. Both John and Tom where very professional and where upfront about the misprint. I will soon have a set of 2.5" drop spindles and a set of springs along with a flip kit to give me a 5"/5" drop. Just one more small item to ask you guys, in order to get the spindles, I need to know what the rotor thickness is, (GC said it would either be 1" or 1.25") since I'm in Iraq that is hard to do. As far as I know, the it is not a heavy duty model, just a regular 84 1/2 ton 2wd SWB. Any thoughts or opinions, would be helpful? I would like to Thank all those who helped me out on this issue and Godfather Customs(John and Tom) for taking the time assist me while in the Sand Pit. Thanks Guys!

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 07:04:02 PM »
Without inspecting the rotors you would be guessing.  Standard is 1", HD is 1.25" for 81-87's
All 73-80's had 1.25"...

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 09:20:54 PM »
I am curious as to why you cant use spindles and a-arms. My choptop had both, and I didnt see an issue. The lower a-arm had about 3 inches of clearance from the ground. The only thing is, it may make it to low for tire clearance. My truck didnt have the motor in it, so it did clear fine. Im not saying it was right, I just want to know the whole story before I am asked, and all I can say to answer is "just because"
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »
They aren't designed to go together for one and second droping on this way would put the control arm lower than the rim in the event of a blow out (this is called scrub) This makes the front of the truck a sled with absolutely no control.  (this is violating scrub) The only possible exception would be if you were running 20" tires.  It doesn't take much to put the control arm pivot very close to the ground.

Putting a motor in would put weight on the suspension and drop it down considerably.
Several control arms are made with no drop on them at all though...

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 07:15:12 AM »
Thanks, thats kinda what I was thinking. We first did just the arms on my trucks, and it seemed like it only dropped one inch, so we put the springs next, and it came out right. I dont think my arms are 3 inch drop, but thats all I can find on DJMs website now.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline tx5.7travel

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 07:28:38 PM »
I finished my 5/5 drop and was pretty happy with it, also installed a Prothane Bushing kit and replaced all ball joints and any thing else that was worn out. Did the c-notch from Western Chassis and installed my 20"s. Did not get a chance to take for a spin once fully assembled due to time frames (had to head back to Iraq). I did get the chance to run down a dirt road w/o the bed on it, just to settle the suspension. I will try to post pictures if I can. I would like to Thank every one who has taken a moment to throw thier two cents in, all advice was greatly appreciated. This was the first time I got to see the truck in person after buying it over the inter net, what a piece of junk but give some time and I'll be rolling with big dogs on here. Thanks once again.

Offline tx5.7travel

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 09:41:03 PM »
Just a few quick profile shots of the results!

Hope This Works!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 03:45:49 PM by Captkaos »