Author Topic: wire protection  (Read 2054 times)

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
wire protection
« on: August 12, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »
Hey Guys....
After putting on a set of headers, I need to protect the wiring around the starter and to the sensor on the drivers side of the block. What do you use to keep the heat off of them? I know some of you have done this and have a better idea!  Thanks!

Scott
1980 C-10 2WD short & wide. 305 auto.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: wire protection
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:09:18 PM »
DEI Cool Tubes

Thermo-Tec Sleeving

Thermo-Tec Tape

Use in any combination.  I use the Cool Tube from the back of the head down through the factory wire guide at the starter on the right side and Thermo-Sleeve for the redundant knock sensor and oil pressure sender on the left side.  Then I use the Thermo-Tape to wrap the coolant temp sensor wire for the gauge.  It's not a cheap solution, but it is fool (and fire) proof, and has been for 50,000 miles.  The tubes and sleeves are available in various diameters; however, the Cool Tubes are larger than advertised.  Other products are available as well.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »
thanks bd! is that the same as the header wrap tape?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »
No!  Header wrap tape "wraps headers" to retain heat inside the header.  A great idea that has the annoying side effect of rotting out the header, because the wrap traps and holds moisture against the pipe.  Header wrap has the added benefit of voiding any warranty provided by the header manufacturer.  Stay away from header wrap.

The products I posted are designed to enshroud the wiring to reject radiant heat from outside sources.  They are essentially loom.  They are very durable, effective and high quality. 
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:50:47 PM »
thanks!