Author Topic: My 77 K-5 build  (Read 49842 times)

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: My 77 K-5 build
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »
I am been in a 70 Camaro with a built 454 running at a high rate of speed and drop the driveshaft.  At the time it happened we didn't know where the "flash" of light came from....

You mean the one that flashes your "life" in front of you.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2014, 05:44:48 PM »
Well it was the flash of the headlights pointed on the asphalt in front of the car as it pole vaulted into the air and then came back down on all 4 wheels...

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2014, 06:32:44 PM »
now im torn between selling it to the org. owners brother whom I bought it from or keeping it and further modding it. Keep going back and forth between which is the right move to do.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2014, 10:41:25 PM »
how much you selling it for? if you dont mind how much you buy it for? then think about how much work you put into it. then think about what you could buy in texas
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:43:10 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2014, 08:21:22 AM »
looked in Texas but didn't find anything that i liked. was a 77 k10 in md i was looking at but the guy said rust was a major issue on the cab, only good thing is it has the sm465 in it. I got it for 1300 then did all the work to it, bougt it apart no lights in it, broken column, rear yoke. etc.

Only reason it might be sold to the guy is the kid I bought it from passed away a few weeks ago in an accident due to a drunk driver and his brothers friend saw it on the trailer after I got the exhaust work done and told him, he contacted me and asked if I wanted to sell it to him. but for what I have in parts alone I dont think he will like that part. and plus I did all the work on it, fixing small things plus I have a soft spot for the round eye chevy trucks/k5 body style

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »
how much you selling it for? if you dont mind how much you buy it for? then think about how much work you put into it. then think about what you could buy in texas

Also factor in the moment when you go "crap" I shouldn't have sold that truck cause now I miss it.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2014, 05:31:15 PM »
kind of touching story. i would almost add it all together and give him that price + your time. i have a soft heart for humans, kind of have the wrong job but i make them just think im crazy and they listen lol. but bake trucks are like women ;) i know if i was in the brothers shoes i would understand you not wanting to take a lost

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2014, 10:17:23 PM »
I know i think that he wont want to pay what i have in it so far minus time and the small things like time, nuts, bolts, paint etc.  I do feel for him though but then I also have a very soft spot for the 77 already from where I got it to what it is now and the plans i had and have for it. just dont know what to do plus i dont want to rip him off/ take a loss on what i have in to it so far

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »
you sound like you have a conscious so that being said you could just charge him for the parts and truck(free labor). if you do decide to charge him for your labor you wont rip him off. just like that yoke you got buddy said to charge fair market value (it was his yoke) so i charged under what it was worth just so i could give him some cash then he turns around and gives me the cash. i was a little ticked cause i would of just given it to you if i knew that. 

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2014, 07:25:19 PM »
yeah, finally got back to de to actually see it and just dont have the drive to finish the small things on it, gonna send the guy a list of the parts that have been put on it and what all was replaced and see what he says. If its close ill just use the money to finish up the fuel cell on my 72 and get my k1500 back on the road.

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2014, 03:43:40 PM »
well after a bunch of "BS" about him buying the blazer I decided its going to Texas with me to get finished up, already have a place to extend the rear drive shaft, going to replace the front wheel bearings once i get to Arkansas, and do a few more things to it, guess it will be a daily driver maybe once or twice a week and the main weekend wheeler when my buddies dodge or kaiser are actually running.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »
what happened tell me i like drama lol

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »
well his brother wanted to buy it back, then had the money then didnt have the money, then his dad calls last night right before i was going to head out and told me what was going on, from his side and it sucks and i feel for them. but called this am and said he was gonna pass on it( which i already figured) why its strapped down on the trailer with all my stuff in it waiting to go to Arkansas, then to Texas. might as well finish it up then start working on the k1500.

just waiting to head out so the dog and i dont get stuck in washington traffic
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:56:19 PM by Displaced_Txn »

Offline Displaced_Txn

• Registered Users
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »
Got stuck in Arkansas when the ford had a freak differential problem occur. Decided to get some work done on the k5 in the process. went to tighten the wheel bearings up and had a whole laundry list of problems on the driver side. 1) got the warn hub out and it was destroyed, flakes of aluminum all in the hub 2) lock nuts were put on wrong 3) hub was destroyed and had the races were spun on both sides 4) actuall spindle was rounded off about the half way point to the inside. 5) rotors and pads were completely glazed over 6) rotor was seized due to rust. So what turned into what should have been a $50 dollar ordeal turned into about a  $500 dollar ordeal  with everything on both sides getting replaced from the spindle on out.  On the upside it fits in the garage in TX ( had to pull the light bar off) but nice to be able to have a solid surface to do the rest of the work on it.

Offline FearNoMan78k10

• A project turned into a complete rebuild
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2014, 10:39:29 PM »
I really like your story project build ..... The k-5 is definitely a nice truck you have. Don't even know you but I'm glad you kept it, it's worth hanging onto indefinitely I think, ,,,,,, you would probably have missed it, good thing it has a new home under a roof to protect it ,,,,, keep the updates going, I enjoy reading them
78 k10 4x4