Author Topic: The Silver Bullet Build! 85 c10 to k10 (God willing) *pics added*  (Read 17854 times)

Offline Silver_Bullet85

[img]Well hello everyone! I've been perusing this forum for quite a while and Just this christmas I finally purchased my grandfathers 1985 c10 long bed and decided its about time I join the site and let y'all in on all the goodies I plan on laying on this hugely sentimental truck of mine. That and I'm more than likely going to need some sage advice from time to time and I've yet to find anything yet that comes close to the depth of knowledge that's here.

So with that said, what I have is a 1985 c10 long bed with the lowly 305 that I plan on converting to a 4x4 frame with a 540 cid gas guzzling, tire roasting, beast of an engine. I haven't decided on whether or not I'm going to be swapping the body or modifying the current frame, it really all depends on how good of a frame I can find here in Corpus Christi, TX or nearby.

I'm not building a show ride but at the same time I'm going to pay respect to the truck that was manufactured the year I was born, that my grandfather taught me to drive as a kid, hunted out of, rode countless rides in the back of around his orchards in, and generally spent a lot of time in as a child. Aaaaaand also be able to toss it in the mud pit from time to time  ;D

I'll throw some pics up as soon as I can get photo bucket to work for me  :P

The engine I'm going to use is here:
http://www.tristarengines.com/catalog/high-performance-crate-engines/gm/gm-prostar-series/prostar-540/pro-startm-540-cid-complete-dyno-d-crate-engine-featuring-darttm-big-m-block-and-pro-1-cylinder-heads.html

I know what you're thinking, "should've built it myself" well I've never built an engine before and as much as I'd like to tristar has about 85% of the parts I would've built it with and it seems to have been done right and eliminates the chance of me screwing something up, plus its cheaper than if I bought all the parts myself….
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:33:41 PM by Silver_Bullet85 »

Offline Silver_Bullet85

Re: The Silver Bullet Build! 85 c10 to k10 (God willing)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:32:52 PM »
And here's the pics:
http://s75.photobucket.com/user/calebf2014/library/

Got a little work done already, I work in the oil field and I'm on a days off rotation so every 28 days I get 7 off to spend on the Bullet +all that cash I made  ;D come Feb. 3rd I will be doing some serious work hopefully, enjoy!!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:06:20 PM by Captkaos »

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: The Silver Bullet Build! 85 c10 to k10 (God willing) *pics added*
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:54 AM »
     First off, welcome to the site Silver_Bullet85 from California.  That is one heck of a project you got on your hands, should be able to spin off the tires for sure.  We love sentimental stories around here.
     The easiest would be get a donor 4x4 frame and put everything else of your truck onto the frame.  If you want to keep your frame for sentimental reasons, the parts from the donor frame can be transplanted onto your frame.  The 2wd drive stuff will have to be taken off ( by drilling out the rivet's that hold them ), and installing the 4wd stuff with grade 8 bolts.
     By whatever means you get there, I look forward to seeing the progress on your truck, and keep the pics coming, cause we love pics too.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline dvdswan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 12:36:03 PM »
welcome to the site from the PNW.  sounds like your truck is going into "BEAST MODE"  :o

Offline Tonka

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »
That power plant is ridiculous!! Cant wait to see how this one turns out! What media did you use to balst that paint off of that sheet metal? What color is going on? Full frame off resto?

Offline Silver_Bullet85

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »
-bake
Thanks! That's the plan, I'd like to keep the frame but it'd be a lot easier to just swap them, the only thing that would prevent that would be if I can't find a frame that's in good shape. Also I was looking at it and everything looks bolted to the frame, I may be wrong tho, I'll send pics of it when I can.

Thanks dvdswan, and that's the plan!

-tonka
I used a dual action sander on it but I found a place that does sandblasting pretty cheap, I'm also thinking about making the one engineer made in his build thread, looks pretty solid and I've got the compressor already. It's going to be the same color as my 2014 ltz z71, tungsten metallic I think is the name of it, I like to call it sexy grey tho :D and yes I'll be getting the frame powder coated and the body under coated and replacing all the brake lines, fuel system, electrical, etc but it won't be show, just cleaned up and functional, I'm not gonna be fussing over the cleanliness as I'm flying through the local mud pit ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tonka

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »
Thats gonna be nice. I used Por 15 on mine after walnut shell media blast etc. It's a bit of a mess the Por15 but is incredible once on.

Offline Silver_Bullet85

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:35:57 PM »
That's what I was thinking of using but I've heard mixed reviews, I guess the surface has to be super clean before you apply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blazing816

• Frequent Member
  • A Truck Is Built, Not Bought
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
Welcome from Michigan....Sounds like a good project, it funny you mentioned it is from year you were born. One of my trucks is from the year I was born (86) and I always thought it was cool to say it was the same age as me.
-----------------------------
1988 Chevy R20 Scottsdale Crew Cab (350/TH400/4.56)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 11:25:38 PM »
welcome from maryland
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Silver_Bullet85

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 11:42:02 PM »
Yep, and just like it I'm starting to feel a little rusty too lol, but I'm not leaking any fluids yet… that I know of… ;)

Offline Silver_Bullet85

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 12:40:23 AM »
Well, got some pics of the frame uploaded, y'all tell me what you think, the only rivets I found were on the front where the radiator went and then on the small crossmember in front of the engine crossmember.  Is that normal or are the rivets on the small crossmember gonna have to go?

p.s. thanks Irish, the interweb is a confusing place for me
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:28:55 AM by Silver_Bullet85 »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 12:43:56 AM »
use the img code
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Tonka

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »
Some folks say that 'sand' blasting is too harsh but IMO it's been done that way for years. If you are gonna strip that frame down, have that POR 15 ready to go immediately after you blast it. The por15 will seal it up better than new.

I also redlined the interior of my cab with roll on bed liner. I want this truck to be handed down to my son years from now.
They do not make em like they used to.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »
Some folks say that 'sand' blasting is too harsh but IMO it's been done that way for years. If you are gonna strip that frame down, have that POR 15 ready to go immediately after you blast it. The por15 will seal it up better than new.

I also redlined the interior of my cab with roll on bed liner. I want this truck to be handed down to my son years from now.
They do not make em like they used to.

Using sand as the blasting materials will leave divot's and a ruff area, for a frame that is OK.  For body work most use crushed walnut shells to blast with, less abrasive and leave little to no marks.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom