Author Topic: A beginners "Build"  (Read 49027 times)

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
Re: A beginners "Build"
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2014, 05:09:40 PM »
SHE'S ALIVE......SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got all the fuel lines and tranny lines ran today. Got the radiator installed. Primed the oil pump. Put a couple gallons of gas in the tank. Added a bit of fuel to the carb and she fired off. Took a few tries but she fired off and ran on her own. WOOOHOOO!!!!

Still have lots of little things to do but so excited that she can run. Only bad news for the day is that the gas tank has a small leak. Not sure if it can be patched or if i'll need a new tank?

I was going to take a video of her running but I got so excited I forgot to...lol She ran on open headers so I'll button up the exhaust and get a video then.

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2014, 04:03:08 PM »
     Well I ordered a new gas tank today. Plus I found some brackets and straps on fleabay so I ordered those too. I figured since I replaced the fuel pump, lines and now the tank I might as well order a new sending unit. Knowing my luck if I don't replace it now I'll have to do it soon any way so why not.

Anyway I'll try and have a better update after this weekend.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:29:00 PM by Captkaos »

Offline FearNoMan78k10

• A project turned into a complete rebuild
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2014, 11:01:03 AM »
That's such great news minus congrats on the motor finally running! How does it run for you? Any issues? So when are you able to start driving it?    I may be mounting a spare fuel tank soon, on the left side though. Anyways congrats minus ! Post some pictures up for us to see

Sent using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:29:34 PM by Captkaos »
78 k10 4x4

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2014, 12:39:11 PM »
Congrats!  It's always rewarding to hear a new engine purr!
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2015, 08:55:08 PM »
     Sorry for such a long delay. life has been crazy but there has been lots of progress on the truck. I'll try to get this thing caught back up this week. Phase one of the truck is 99% complete now. The last things on the list is to get the speedometer working and take it in for a front end alignment. After those are finished she will be road worthy.

I'll start with the cab corners. The new ones are on and painted. We just painted them black for now which doesn't really match but since I plan on painting her in the spring it's ok for now.  My main goal was coverage in hopes to keep rust at bay until spring. We'll she if it was achieved.

I can't seem to get my pictures to load so I'll add them from work tomorrow and continue to get this thing caught up.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2015, 10:42:47 AM »
     Ok.. so here are a few pics of the cab corners. You will notice in one of the pictures what looks to be a crescent moon. I was working on something under the truck and when i crawled out and went to stand up I put my darn thumb right smack on the cab corner. D'oh!! At first I was a little mad but had a good chuckle over it after a few minutes. Other than that I think they came out good. Not perfect but that's Ok. Like I said before I can't take credit for the weld job because that's something I'm not good with. Maybe some day?

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2015, 04:06:18 PM »
     I had to replace my gas tank because of a hole hidden behind one of the straps. I went with a 20 gal tank from rock auto. At the time they had the best price even with shipping. I think I paid $85 shipped? I ordered it on a Thursday and had on Friday afternoon. Fit nicely and seems to do it's job. Once the tank and cab corners were installed we were able to set the bed back in place.

Boy was it a pain to get the bed lined up. Of course when you put an 86 bed on a 79 frame there are bound to be some issues. We got the alignment as close as we could and drilled new holes in the frame. We had to add a couple shims under the bed to even things out. I wasn't able to add the new spray in bed liner because of the cold weather so that will have to wait til spring. 

Here are a few pics of the new gas tank and the bed finally bolted in place.

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2015, 03:56:29 PM »
     Here are a few pics of the engine. Nothing special just a mostly stock 350 out of a 78 K5. Has an aftermarket intake, headers and true dual exhaust. I believe everything was complete when these were taken other than the correct burp tank. The original had a crack and was leaking. I found a couple at a Chevy dealer in Oregon. $21 shipped. I didn't think that was too bad. I'm not sure how to post video's but I do have a few of her running. Mostly ones prior to having the timing dialed in. At least I think it's dialed in lol.

Offline illinoisk30

• Registered Users
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2015, 10:51:17 AM »
Your truck looks good and the cab corners turned out very nice. I really like the red and white color combo. Nice truck you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1977 Chevy K10 LWB Supercharged 406 TH350
1977 Chevy K30 DRW 400 TH400
1978 GMC K35 SRW 454 TH400
1979 GMC K35 SRW 400 TH400
1980 Chevy K30 SRW 350 SM465

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2015, 11:39:05 AM »
Thanks! My goal is to repaint in the spring. I was thinking all red just for cost and simplicity but the red/white grows more on me everyday. Right now i'm leaning more towards keeping her Red/White.