Author Topic: What is normal oil pressure/350 crate engine  (Read 28393 times)

Offline mcintyrederek

• Registered Users
  • Rookie
What is normal oil pressure/350 crate engine
« on: June 02, 2015, 06:10:32 AM »
I have an '86 C10 with a Goodwrench crate engine, the 260 HP model.  The dash oil pressure gauge was not working when I got the truck.  Someone installed an analog SunPro gauge where the oil pressure sender went.

I am running synthetic blend Castrol 10W-30.  I did an "engine flush" which cured a knocking lifter and probably cleaned a bunch of junk out of the engine.  I also dropped the oil pan and did a total cleanup, but it didn't look very bad.

I didn't pay much attention to the oil pressure before but I believe the pressure is lower now than before.  When cruising at pretty much any speed, I'm running about 42 to 43 PSI.  Sitting at idle, it drops WAY down to maybe 10 or 15.

Is this normal?  The engine doesn't have more than about 40K miles on it.  I don't know the run history before I got it.  I'm in NC and summer time is going to be HOT.  Is going to 10W-40 a good idea for the summer?

Thanks.
1986 C-10 Silverado 350 CI 260 HP, Edelbrock 1405, TH400, 2.73's - rescued from the junkyard - Farm Truck, daily driver!

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: What is normal oil pressure/350 crate engine
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
That is good pressure. Nothing wrong there. A perfectly running small block should be able to idle with 6 psi oil pressure, if I remember correctly. I don't think there will be any need to change to a different oil.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline rich weyand

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »
Oil pressure dropping when you clean all the crap out of the engine is normal.

Oil is pumped from the sump through passages in the engine to places that need oil, such as camshaft bearings, crankshaft bearings, lifters, valves, etc., and the oil passes through those locations and leaks back down to the sump.  When an engine is new, some of these locations are not seated yet, and oil goes through the gaps and to the sump pretty easily.  Oil pressure can be pretty low.  As you do your run-in, maintaining rpms to maintain high oil pressure and high oil flow, these surfaces seat and close up, less oil flows through them, and the oil pressure goes up.  Over the life of the engine, as these surfaces wear and open up, more oil flows through them and oil pressure goes down.

This is one reason why an annual inspection on an airplane piston engine includes taking oil pressure readings.

You are measuring with the gauge the pressure the pump is supplying along one of the main routes within the engine.  When the engine is full of garp, the oil passages are getting clogged up, and less oil flows, so oil pressure goes up.  If you flush out all the garp, flow will be increased, and oil pressure will go down.

The rule of thumb is that you need to maintain 10 PSI of oil pressure per 1000 rpm on the engine.  So idle oil pressure of 10-15 is fine, since your rpms are down around 600-800.

Going to heavier weight oil will give you higher oil pressure at the gauge, but it will also slow down flow rates at critical lubrication points.  As long as you are maintaining 10 PSI per 1000 rpm, I would stick with 10W30.
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline mcintyrederek

• Registered Users
  • Rookie
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 02:04:18 PM »
OK, thanks a lot.  I exaggerated a bit on the idle pressure.  It's actually around 20, slightly lower when it's hot.  I'm running the regular old 180 t'stat and it stays right on the 180 mark after it warms up.  So, the engine flush stuff must have cleaned some garbage out.  That's encouraging. 

I'll leave it alone and just enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the responses.

1986 C-10 Silverado 350 CI 260 HP, Edelbrock 1405, TH400, 2.73's - rescued from the junkyard - Farm Truck, daily driver!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 09:56:32 AM »
The rule of thumb is that you need to maintain 10 PSI of oil pressure per 1000 rpm on the engine.  So idle oil pressure of 10-15 is fine, since your rpms are down around 600-800.

Going to heavier weight oil will give you higher oil pressure at the gauge, but it will also slow down flow rates at critical lubrication points.  As long as you are maintaining 10 PSI per 1000 rpm, I would stick with 10W30.
x2
10 psi per 1k is a good rule
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes