Author Topic: 2-2.5 inch lifts  (Read 3508 times)

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
2-2.5 inch lifts
« on: November 06, 2015, 06:52:07 PM »
I am looking at possibly doing a 2-2.5" suspension lift on my '85 K10 6.5 diesel-I don't like body lifts-I will probably just get new springs for the front, as mine seem rather worn, especially the passengers side for whatever reason, the frame sits 1/2-3/4" closer to the ground on that side.

So what I currently have is 4/1 rear springs, should I try and get them rebuilt, 5/1, and get a 2" re-arch done to them, or just do an add-a-leaf?, and can I reuse the shocks? I have to double check the extension, but I think it was 23" front 21" rear??

I don't want any more lift, as I don't want to get larger tires(I feel 33's are minimum for 4". and I have 4 brand new 31's on it), oh and no blocks, I don't like blocks either

oh, and brands to look at for springs, and AAL's-if I end up going that route. Ride quality don't matter much, I drive 1-tons for work-and those have like no suspension movement

Thanks all
Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline 85ckaz

Re: 2-2.5 inch lifts
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 11:59:10 PM »
I have had leaf springs re-arched and they did not last.

I ended up going to a spring and U bolt shop and they made me 2" lift, 3/8" thick leaf, 10 leaves, rear springs. I then went to a 4x4 shop and bought a Rancho lift kit with new front lift springs, Procomp ES7000 shocks and all the small parts. It was around $200 cheaper to buy the lift kit than buying all the parts one at a time.     

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 09:17:10 PM »
thats something i never understood. if metal is fatigued and bent and you straighten it out it is weaker than it was originally and will bend easier than before. now granted this is the opposite of springs but metal is metal and its still weakens over time
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline lyndoncp

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 10:06:12 PM »
I am actually wanting to do the exact same set up on my k10- (2 inch suspension lift with 31's.)
Would you please post a picture when you are done??

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 11:57:10 AM »
thats something i never understood. if metal is fatigued and bent and you straighten it out it is weaker than it was originally and will bend easier than before. now granted this is the opposite of springs but metal is metal and its still weakens over time

This was discussed in another thread. A spring can be reached but to do it right is more expensive than buying a new spring. The spring would have to be annealed first, then bent, then re-hardened, and tempered. So most shops will simply cold bend them over the original specs which stretches the molecular alignment of the steel, weakening it. It's all at the molecular level. Just like soft copper can only be bent X number of times before it's not soft anymore and breaks instead of bending. 
I am what I am and I ain't no more!