Author Topic: New Engine w/transmission issues!  (Read 2979 times)

Offline K25

New Engine w/transmission issues!
« on: January 07, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »
Hey Guys and Gals here’s what I got: 1986 Chevrolet K10 4 X 4, with a 700R4 4 Speed Automatic, NP208 Transfer Case, GU6, 3.42 Locking Differential Rear End, on 31-10.5-15 tires with 3500# Overloads and a Class IV Receiver Hitch.  It originally had a carbed 305 w/AC but was later changed to a 350 w/AC back in 2004 just before I bought it.  I recently blew the 350 and dropped in a brand new 350 H.O. Turn Key w/AC from GM and she runs like a scalded dog! However…. since the new engine has no emissions control parts and I no longer needed the ecm; I disconnected all the vacuum lines to include the tip in switch.  There is a vacuum switch behind the brake booster as well but it has never had a vacuum line running to it so I left it that way. I cannot figure out why the tranny has no kick down.  I hooked the TV cable up correctly (?) and she’s hitting all four gears at the right spots, but still no kick down and stalls sometimes when I stop at red lights and stop signs.  I researched it and sure as 5%*! the vacuum behind the brake booster is part of the torque converter lock up system. I could not find any diagrams to show how the vacuum switch is connected so I took it to the transmission shop and the guy says the valve body is probably sticking and there is probably a torque converter issue as well.  He says without tearing it down first he can’t be sure.  He is also going to price me a total rebuild with upgrades. Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: New Engine w/transmission issues!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 02:17:17 PM »
The 700R4 transmission uses a signal to activate the torque converter clutch (TCC) and go into lock up. It also uses a signal from the brake switch to disengage the TCC when the brakes are used. It also disengages when the engine is loaded enough to accelerate from cruising or when a kick down is made. The Throttle Valve (TV) cable, is not the same as a kick down cable. A TV cable has a specific setup procedure which is required to be done properly. If not, it will not operate properly and eventually internal transmission damage will occur. The TV cable changes trans fluid hydraulic pressure constantly while driving, depending on how far the gas pedal is depressed.

The vacuum switch you mentioned is used to send the proper signal to the transmission at the proper time for correct TCC engagement.

You said the truck was originally a carburated 305, but you removed the vacuum lines and ecm. So what carburetor does it have on it now or is it fuel injected? What is this "tip in" switch you are referring to?

Originally, that truck had a computer controlled Quadrajet carburetor. 1987 was the first year for throttle body fuel injection (TBI) for these trucks.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline jktacke84

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 04:20:47 PM »
I have/ had the same set up. You will more than likely need a TCC lock up kit or stand alone tranny ECM. There is a lot of info on this site or you can google 700r4 TCC lock up with no ECM. I can run through all the steps but it may be better just to search it on here.

Offline K25

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:42:16 PM »
You are correct it did have a Quadrajet carburetor and the '87 was the first year of the production TBI; but the new engine came with a Holey 670 Street Avenger carb (no ecm needed).  The tip in vacuum switch is located on the passenger side firewall connected to the egr and was connected through the firewall into the ecm and to the distributor (see attached diagram). I believe the ecm only controlled spark and vac advance.  Either way that model year was a vacuum hose nightmare!! I will research the " 700r4 TCC lock up with no ECM" as suggested and I'm sure something will turn up! Thanks LTZ C20 and jktacke84!

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 02:23:39 PM »
Your welcome.
LTZ Cheyenne C20