Author Topic: Who on here knows how to paint?  (Read 3787 times)

Offline brantdedon

Who on here knows how to paint?
« on: March 24, 2016, 11:26:47 AM »
Hey ya'll, I'm building an '85 LWB. I have the bed, cab and front clip off. The engine and tranny is pulled. The frame has almost literally no rust. Barely even spots of surface rust. I ordered a quart of POR15 but a restoration shop I talked to said that POR15 isn't what it used to be and that I'm better off painting it with rattlecan. Anyone's thoughts on that? Also I aircrafted and pressure washed my engine and stripped all paint and debris and went over it with ScotchBrite and brake cleaner. I'm of course going Chevrolet Orange-Red. I have the ceramic engine enamel and self etching primer but upon further research I've seen that some people prime the engine and some don't. What do ya'll recommend?

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
Re: Who on here knows how to paint?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:46:19 AM »
I used POR15 on my frame and now 4 years later it's still on there and looking good.
I doubt you could say that about any rattle can.   :)
Just my opinion of course.   LoL....

Offline brantdedon

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 12:51:20 PM »
Did you topcoat it? The guy I talked to said that if you didn't topcoat it then it wasn't worth a dime haha.

Offline firefighter

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 03:48:17 PM »
I must admit, I did not topcoat it.
I read this from their website:

WILL THE SUN DESTROY MY POR-15 COATING IF I DON'T TOPCOAT IT?
If the surface is exposed to the sun for an extended amount of time, the UV rays will eventually break down the POR-15

I didn't figure my frame would be exposed to direct sunlight (unless I was a horrible driver) for extended periods of time so I didn't.
I've read where some others have painted over it.   
If you have your truck down to the frame, it would be an excellent time to do everything you plan to do to it.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »
POR-15 is a moisture cure urethane, some really tough stuff.  Because of its intended use it doesn't or most likely don't have UV inhibitors which help protect it from the UV rays.  If I ever get to a frame off I will use a moisture cure zinc followed by a 2K epoxy then a 2K urethane topcoat.  That would be a best case system but POR-15 is an excellent choice over any rattle can out there and will last longer than you think, even in the rust belt.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 05:24:03 PM »
Is POR 15 the same as chassy coat? Either way, i spray some high tech rust inhibitor twice a year, no rust.  However, if i did a frame off, definitely a good coating.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline Rattler12

• Registered Users
  • Old Geezer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 10:10:38 AM »
If you use POR be sure and keep it stirred well and often or you will have both satin and gloss to contend with..... experience speaking.....it goes on glossy but is supposed to dry to a satin
83 C-10 shorty 454, 5spd, 3:73 posi

Offline jg1977c20

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 10:14:05 PM »
por 15 is okay chassis saver ive had better results - ever since they got rid of red led nothing is the same anymore truth of the matter is -if there was any rust to begin with it will always come back unless the offending piece is cut out and removed .
1977 c20 cheyenne camper special 8200gvw

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 10:31:19 PM »
Yup, rust always reappears once present.  You can sand it, paint it and soak it in grease, in time it will always show itself again. I hate rust!
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1