Author Topic: Looking to Drop  (Read 8752 times)

Offline chiefmiller84

Looking to Drop
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:18:26 PM »
Wanting to drop my 1983 2WD Silverado. I believe it's stock height right now. I still will use it as a truck hauling wood and what not, but I like the stance of lowered trucks. I've seen the kits in  , classic industries and brothers. Are there any better/cheaper options out there?

I'm still unsure if I want to notch the frame or not. Thanks for all the help.

I will be a full resto-mod on my truck, I just haven't decided where to start. So I want to start pricing things now.

Offline boulky12

• Registered Users
  • Dallas, TX Daily Driver
Re: Looking to Drop
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:10:14 PM »
Don't know how much your trying drop but I like my 2/2 drop cause I can still get under to do an oil change, service tansmission, service the rear end, or anything else without jacking the truck up. And still gives the truck a nice stance.

Got 2 in drop shackles for $40 and 2 inch springs for $80.
86 Swb GMC, 2/2 drop, stock 305/350, Quadrajet, Dual Tanks, 3.08 gears, Rally wheels

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:14:50 PM »
I was looking for more like a 3/5 or a 4/6. I could live with a 2/4 I think for now though.

Offline 254chamorro

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 11:54:32 PM »
Whatever you do maybe put some air shocks for the heavier loads to help. Imo

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 02:00:29 PM »
I was looking for more like a 3/5 or a 4/6. I could live with a 2/4 I think for now though.

1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
350/700R4 Hooker Headers 134-A A/C
4/5 Drop - Ridler 650 rims 20x8.5/20x10
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:55:11 PM »
So if using this chart I wouldn't need drop spindles for a 3/5? I know using the spindles will help keep the geometry the same.

Offline 254chamorro

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 08:15:02 PM »
So if using this chart I wouldn't need drop spindles for a 3/5? I know using the spindles will help keep the geometry the same.

You can mix match how ever you want but keep in mind that you drop it especially with spindles you may need to change your rims if you have stock rally rims or do some modifications to LCA something I'm dealing with right now. If you drop using a LCA ( lower control arm ) your spring boot thingy will ride low to the ground and may need to be aware of what you drive over or in. Just springs you will have to deal with a little bouncy but I haven't used springs before.

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 08:19:28 PM »

You can mix match how ever you want but keep in mind that you drop it especially with spindles you may need to change your rims if you have stock rally rims or do some modifications to LCA something I'm dealing with right now. If you drop using a LCA ( lower control arm ) your spring boot thingy will ride low to the ground and may need to be aware of what you drive over or in. Just springs you will have to deal with a little bouncy but I haven't used springs before.

I do have the stock 15s. If that's going to be an issue with spindles I may scrap the whole idea until I save up for rims and drop at once. No reason to buy a drop I can't install right now. I am really just trying to piece everything out and then start putting money aside to do what I want as I can afford. I figured a drop wouldn't be more than $1000 and Would drastically improve the look of it. Biggest bang for my buck. I may just focus on brakes and drive train first in that case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 254chamorro

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 10:49:41 PM »
With any project I always start with drivetrain I see many vehicles that will dump alot of money on rims, paint and sounds but end up on the side of the road. For me I bought the truck lowered but I changed the motor to a 305 to a new 350 and rebuilt the tyranny. Working on the suspension now, I didn't noticed till now that the way they dropped it the rims scrap lca. So gonna try grind down lca gutters to try make the drop work if not prob gonna go to stock

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 07:03:02 AM »
Awesome. Thanks for the input man.

Offline 79 Royal Sierra

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 10:08:08 AM »
Welcome aboard bud, I am in the same boat as you. I want to lower it just a few inches as guy mentioned above. Bought my Truck for $600 but it sat in a field for a few years before I got her. Got the 350 running good with tune up, and replaced seals on the 350 tranny and now she shifts good. As stated above make sure mechanically that your truck is good to go, then as you get some money saved get her done right. I just sold my Hot Rod that I sunk alot of money into over a few years, and never quite got the build just right. Going to go the smart route this time. Good luck and keep us posted

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »
Welcome aboard bud, I am in the same boat as you. I want to lower it just a few inches as guy mentioned above. Bought my Truck for $600 but it sat in a field for a few years before I got her. Got the 350 running good with tune up, and replaced seals on the 350 tranny and now she shifts good. As stated above make sure mechanically that your truck is good to go, then as you get some money saved get her done right. I just sold my Hot Rod that I sunk alot of money into over a few years, and never quite got the build just right. Going to go the smart route this time. Good luck and keep us posted
Thanks brother. I think I know what I need to do now. I'll keep everyone posted on my updates as I go. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as I get into it.

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 11:22:05 AM »

This right here, If you use drop spindles and have 15X8 Rallys (or any similar dimension rim) which have 4inch backspacing it will rub and destroy your rim. I have Drop spings in the font and have a flip kit in the back im at 4/5ish drop right now.15X8 275/60/15 all around.

1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »
That's about the exact stance I want. Did not using the spindles screw up the geometry of the alignment? Did you need to use drop shocks as well?

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 12:17:18 PM »
That's about the exact stance I want. Did not using the spindles screw up the geometry of the alignment? Did you need to use drop shocks as well?

No my alignments is good

For some reason my new Eibach progressive rate springs gave me a 4 inch drop in the front. They haven't been cut and the ride it solid, And i mean SOLID. If you look at Summitracing there are modular Spindles (2 inch drop) by CPP, they are the best from what i hear. It is suggested if you want more than 3 inches of drop to use spindles in conjunction with lowering springs. Alot of people in my club use 3/4 ton springs and cut a coil off (1 cut coil is equivalent to a 2 inch drop) in conjunction with a drop spindle. But they are also using bigger rims 17-22's. I did use a drop shock, Belltech.

Also you can measure from center of spindle to bottom of fender to estimate your drop. Factory is 19.5 from spindle to fender. Im at 15.75 from and 15.5 rear...roughly for front and back
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:20:31 PM by MrFiveOh »
1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"