Author Topic: Looking to Drop  (Read 8731 times)

Offline ScottD

• 1985 C-10
Re: Looking to Drop
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 01:24:58 PM »
i have attached a pic of my 85 with a 3" front and 4" rear lowering kit from Bell Tech.  Spindles in the front and new leaf hangers and shackles in the back.  No change in shocks up front as the geometry stays the same so an alignment is also not necessary. In the rear, I elected to use shock extension hangers instead of shorter shocks.  The extensions allow you to use standard shocks by lowering the mounting points.  Although they hang lower on the axle, they maintain a similar angle so they work better.  If you don't use them the shorter shocks are at an increased angle and don't react the same as stock because its less up and down due to the angle.  I have 15X8 AR Torque thrust rims with 3.75" backspacing.  These rims did require trimming of the lower A arm lips.  Pretty easy to do.   However many rims have 4-4.5'" backspacing so they require a little more trimming.  My tires are P275 60R 15.
Installation was relatively straight forward, and if you're not an expert mechanic it will take you more than a day. Ride is awesome, and I only experienced positive results with nothing negative to report.  Granted, rear travel and payload are reduced but additional trimming of the bump stops will increase that slightly.
I prefer this look over the 4"front and 6" flips, but that's just personal opinion.   Installing shorter springs up front will almost always require alignment changes, so that can be viewed as a negative.   Flipping the back usually requires C notching the frame to get any travel, so again that can be a negative if you want to haul anything. Also adds complexity to the job. Hope this helps, good luck.

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
Flippin the rear does not require a c-notch. If you go more than 6 It is required. All you have to do is cut off the old bump stops and install the smaller pancake bump stops with the 5-6 flip in the rear. the amount of leaf springs also play a role in the load you can haul without bottoming out with a flip as well.
1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
350/700R4 Hooker Headers 134-A A/C
4/5 Drop - Ridler 650 rims 20x8.5/20x10
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 09:21:46 PM »
But I will need bigger rims if I use drop spindles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MrFiveOh

• Registered Users
  • The Local Po-Po
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 06:11:01 AM »

Yes and no. If you're running 15x8 you have two options, shave the lower control arm for clearance. Or go with a 15x7 rim or bigger size.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

1974 C-10 AKA "Smurf"
350/700R4 Hooker Headers 134-A A/C
4/5 Drop - Ridler 650 rims 20x8.5/20x10
Kenwood single din radio 2 IB-Flat Pioneer Subwoofers Rockford Fosgate Power 1000-bdcp amp

Offline 86square

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »

4.5 front about 7 in the rear flip kit and shackles bump stops cut off and no notch

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 07:24:14 PM »

Yes and no. If you're running 15x8 you have two options, shave the lower control arm for clearance. Or go with a 15x7 rim or bigger size.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

What about getting those tubular control arms I saw somewhere? Lol sorry I don't remember where I saw them.

Offline OHNomad

Looking to Drop
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 08:20:38 PM »
I just put Ridetech lower control arms on my 85 in conjunction with drop spindles and airbags. Still have to get it off the jack when I get the air ride powered up but pretty pleased with the drop. It'll be about another two inches lower as soon as the jack is out from under the cross member.

Offline chiefmiller84

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 08:56:25 PM »
I just put Ridetech lower control arms on my 85 in conjunction with drop spindles and airbags. Still have to get it off the jack when I get the air ride powered up but pretty pleased with the drop. It'll be about another two inches lower as soon as the jack is out from under the cross member.

It'll be lower than it is in the third picture? That last picture looks like the stance I want.

Offline OHNomad

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 06:23:06 AM »
Hey Chief, yes it will be a few inches lower than this when aired out. Ride height will be an inch or so higher.