Author Topic: Project GoJo  (Read 1132 times)

Offline ken4444

Re: Project GoJo
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 08:57:06 AM »
The bed is finished and looks great.  I will get some photos soon.   Next I need to get the gas gauge working. Then the stereo goes in.  I built a subwoofer cabinet to go behind the seat and it fits well and looks good.  The cabinet is designed around a 10" Kenwood woofer I got from a neighbor a couple of years ago.  I researched the woofer to figure out what design of cabinet to put it in, and apparently it's a decent quality speaker.  I made a sealed box with .64 cubic foot inside volume and the initial sound testing is very good.  Or course it may sound like crap inside the truck. We'll see.

I also got new carpet.  I don't know what direction I will go after that, but one possibility is to raise the suspension 3 or 4 inches and probably put on slightly taller tires.  I'm not sure about the wheels.  Black wheels are not my favorite but I'm at a real loss about what would look good on this truck.  Of course, that's all big money and a lot of work so it will be easy to put off.

Offline ken4444

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2018, 08:06:27 PM »
I did some more troubleshooting and man, the factory GM gauge cluster is junk.  What a pile of crap.  It's about the quality of a kid's cheap toy! Between the screws of different sizes, the 4 kinds of cheap plastic, and the lousy "circuit board" on the back with its half-way connector, I am surprised it all still works.  Anyhow, using the same grounding point, I'm getting the same ohm reading at the connector to the instrument panel as I'm getting from the sender itself, so that's good.  That rules out the sender wire being bad somewhere.  It didn't occur to me to check the ground that the gauges are using, as that's clearly a possible problem area.  I also have no idea how much gas in the tank but I'll keep assuming that the gauge didn't magically fix itself and is still reading wrong.  So I think the gauge grounding is the next thing to check.

I pulled off the dash pad for the first time and that wasn't too bad.  I got a peek at some of the disconnected wires under there.  I swapped out the "Travel Quest"dash  badge with a Silverado one that I got on Ebay.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2018, 06:07:45 AM »
lol, yes it is! Dakota makes the best aftermarket cluster imo. Despite being meticulous with a refurbishing it is almost guaranteed the cluster will still exhibit the design flaws. It's part of the character :)

To the left of the dash vent under the dash is a grounding bus. Check the connections and ground there
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline ken4444

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 10:26:53 AM »
... Despite being meticulous with a refurbishing it is almost guaranteed the cluster will still exhibit the design flaws. It's part of the character :)

It occurred to me that the crappy design of the square body gauge cluster is probably not much different than any gauge cluster of the era or maybe even today.

To the left of the dash vent under the dash is a grounding bus. Check the connections and ground there

Fantastic.  Great to know.  I was going to install a dedicated ground  bus anyhow, but if GM put one in, then I need to look at that.  Where exactly is it located?

Offline ken4444

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2018, 05:02:10 PM »
A few pics of the inside bed paint job. I am very happy with the results.  I took these photos in the garage so they're not brightly lit. One flaw is the number of small dents. Not a show truck but the bed is hugely improved.

I'm still waiting on the delivery of a rubber bed mat which may show up today.  We'll see.  I'm out of town for a week so don't look for any new posts for a while.