Author Topic: Steering wheel help  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
Steering wheel help
« on: January 10, 2019, 08:27:36 AM »
This is not a truck problem , but could be. My car has a leather and plastic steering wheel .
The plastic section has a clear coat which is starting to peel off. Want to take all clear off,
But can't find any info on easy way to remove  rest of clear coat. Appreciate all help.
Jerry

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Steering wheel help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 09:35:54 AM »
Without seeing it in person I can only give an opinion coming from 33 years in the OEM paint industry.  Usually adhesion failure on plastics is due to the plastisizer coming out of the plastic which causes the clear coat to loose its bite to the substrate.  That is why you dashes gets hard and crack, steering wheels get sticky.  Unless you can pick away the remaining clear coat mechanically, your only other option would be sand it off which will effect the plastic.  Clear coats for interiors on plastics are usually a UV cured clear.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:23:40 AM »
The clear coat kind of has smal blisters that I peel off with my fingernails. This happens a little
At a time. The wheel is not sticky at all.Somebody suggested to try fingernail polish. I'm afraid
to do this because I think it may attack the plastic. I won't experiment on this wheel. Any other ideas?  Thanks.
Jerry

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:39 PM »
Hi Jerr-Conn:
Have you tried googling any of those companies that specialize in interior plastic repairs to see what they advise? There used to be a company called "Just Dashes" and another company called "Colorbond" that sold plastic restoration products ...I am sure there are some that specialize in steering wheels these days.
Regards,
Henry

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 07:43:16 PM »
Henry---- I'm going to try your advice.  Am ck'ing with a guy in Canada. Will let you know when he gets back to me.  Thanks.
Jerry