Author Topic: headers  (Read 2217 times)

Offline dirrty d84

headers
« on: August 01, 2006, 08:33:00 PM »
i was considering a set of headers for my 84 305. i want them for gas mileage. not too worried about the performance because i have read on here that it doesnt even add enough to make a difference. but my question, is the amount of gas i would save worth buying the headers and having a local muffler shop hook it up to my existing exhaust. i currently have a 40 series 2 1/2 in and dual 2 1/4 out with no cat.  

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: headers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
It all depends on how much driving you do per week.  If the headers get you 1-2mpg better, then a tankfull should get you 40-50 miles further for the same money.  Which saves, like, $6-$10 per week.  Or something like that?

You'll have to sit down with a calculator to get the exact figures;  i don't have time now.
This is just based on one tankfull, now.
More driving equals quicker payback.

If you really want to save gas, you should consider what i'm going to do:
And that's headers and exhaust cutouts ( i already have true dual exaust w/ flowmasters).

store.summitracing.com/pa...toview=sku

These are electric cutouts which means on the highway you can have essentially open headers and when in the city you can have full exhaust.

I don't have any emmisions checking or testing so i can and will get away with it.

I too have a 305.

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: headers
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »
So, i guess the bottom line is how much driving you do would determine whether to make modifications.

Like right now i, unfortunately, am commuting about 420 miles per week.  If you add in personal errands and such, then my total mileage per week is probably 550-600 per week.  I have other smaller cars besides the truck so i'm not in a big hurry to make changes.

But, if the truck were my only ride, then i would be making changes pronto.  So, in this case, to answer your question, yes it would be worth it.  In my above case, i would probably be saving  $10-$20 per week.  Plus, it would be more fun.