Author Topic: Oil Pressure Sending Unit Conversion  (Read 884 times)

Offline A robs 23

Re: Oil Pressure Sending Unit Conversion
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 08:04:05 PM »
Haha yeah I switched to a manual choke for my 350 rebuild. I prefer it for canadian winters over the electric.

Are there any suggested methods to secure the PC once I remove that clip, other than duct tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 08:29:50 PM »
The adjacent clip is so close the PCB won't go anywhere.  Besides, the adhesive on tape might chemically react with the plastic and copper foils of the PCB.  I would let it be.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline A robs 23

Oil Pressure Sending Unit Conversion
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2020, 05:15:15 PM »
When i ground the oil pressure gauge, the needle returns to low.

**I am going to ensure my oil pressure sending unit wire is the same wire running from plug to pinout. If it is, I will use my multimeter and see if I have an open circuit.

I have a tach signal at the tach. I have 12v ignition at the tach. I also have proper ground. Is it possibly a dead tachometer?

**I am going to re terminate my ground that I created and add solder. I wonder if my ground is the issue.

I removed the second ground from the voltmeter, I no longer have intermittent failure with my voltmeter! Thank you!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:20:35 PM by A robs 23 »

Offline A robs 23

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2020, 07:23:40 PM »
I confirmed I have proper ground. I made a new terminal end. Still no tach.

I also discovered that crkt 32(tan) in position 5 of my pinout, is not the same wire that runs to my oil pressure sending unit plug. I checked from the plug to the wire harness terminal, no continuity.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2020, 11:16:50 PM »
If you have an incandescent test light, clip it to B+ then probe the ground wire that connects to the tach head.  The test light should illuminate normally bright.  If it does, the ground connection is sound.  Once you're satisfied that all the external circuit connections have been verified, you should suspect a faulty tach head. 

In itself, 'no continuity' doesn't necessarily mean you connected the wrong circuit to the oil gauge.  It simply may be open.  You need to perform additional tests for verification.  Use the factory wiring diagram to ID where the oil pressure gauge wire passes through the firewall bulkhead connector.  Check for continuity between the bulkhead connector and the gauge.  Then check for continuity between the bulkhead connector and the sender.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline A robs 23

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2020, 11:54:52 AM »
Replacement tachometer on the way.

I will verify bulkhead wiring in the next few days.

Using my multimeter, I connected to the oil pressure sending unit wire and touched the negative terminal to ground. This did not show any continuity either. This is why I am suspecting incorrect wiring.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2020, 12:06:57 PM »
Using my multimeter, I connected to the oil pressure sending unit wire and touched the negative terminal to ground. This did not show any continuity either.

Still not conclusive since an open in the correct wiring would show zero continuity.
Rich