Author Topic: Snapped Axle Shaft - GM 10 Bolt  (Read 2803 times)

Offline 87_Rado

Snapped Axle Shaft - GM 10 Bolt
« on: June 29, 2020, 07:15:17 PM »
Well fellas after getting my drivability issue fixed thanks to alot of good advice/info from the forum. Let's just say I had a little to much fun with the ol chevy. I left a buddy's house and left a little rubber in the road and as I started taking off I heard a quite noticable bang/clunk from the rear end. It's a stock GM 10 bolt with what I believe is referred to as the GOV-LOC inside the rear diff. This banging/clunking sound has happened before, especially when locking and un locking during a winter storm or something so I just shruggged it off at first. Anyways So long story short thankfully I was right down the road from my house and by the time I got home there was nothing but smoke rolling off the back driver side tire. Luckily for me I have a wooden flat bed truck. So this prevented the tire and axle assembly from completely flying off during/after my burnout lol So I jacked the rear end up and sure enough I snapped the axle shaft. So upon further inspection I pulled the cover to try to access the c-clips and I came to realized that the cross pin bolt was snapped off and the center pin had actually spun in place and got jammed in there. So after pretty much all day of struggling on the ground and trying to swing a hammer to drive the center pin out.. I eventually got  it out. 180 bucks gets me everything I need off rock Auto and it should be here Friday. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is this common with these gov-locs? From what I've read many people aren't a fan of these rear ends for fun driving/horsing around a bit. Just some thoughts if anyone else has had this same experience? And if so did you upgrade anything In the process? Cheers fellas  8)
87 Chevy V-10. 350 TBI all stock. Wooden flatbed.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Snapped Axle Shaft - GM 10 Bolt
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 08:57:42 PM »
The axle snapped? It's not as common as the differential failing in the 10 bolt but it does happen. Where did the axle shaft snap? In other controversy, many say the GM 10 bolt is stronger than the GM 12 bolt due to the pinion size. (Ask any social justice warrior) I will argue this as the pinion is rarely the weak link and 10 bolts break very easily. They are not strong for beating on and the Gov-Loc is a self-destructing bomb.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 11:14:17 PM »
I've read exactly as you said, that the GOV-LOC is prone to failure. But with little experienc prior to this incident, I can't justify what I've read from self experience. Which is exactly why I posted. Yes the axle snapped and It snapped right at the collar where it turns into to the 28 spline. It keeps saying I can't upload pics because they're to large from my phone. Is there any way around this? If so I'll post a pic of exactly where it snapped!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:08:12 AM »
You can either host the image on your storage site and embed it using the img code or resize it as a jpeg and attach it to your post.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 01:10:55 PM »
Okay I'll have to figure it out. I'm doing everything from my phone I dont have a desktop so it may be difficult. But I put in a new axle shaft, center pin and cross bolt In the rear end. All Yukon parts. As I stated in the previous post, the original cross bolt broke and the center pin basically fused itself to the gear that it slides through. So I replaced everything and it went together smooth as can be. But now as I'm driving I'm continuing to get that clunking noise in the rear end even more than before... It seems to be on turns more then anything. The "locker" is stuck locked it seems like. I can obviously feel it on tight turns that the truck hops a bit and I can hear the tire dragging/skidding. Anybody know what may cause this or have any suggestions for me to try and fix it?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 12:03:11 PM »
You put in a locker or limited slip?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »
I didn't put anything in that was aftermarket. It's the stock GM gov lock. So I guess that's considered a limited slip..? I just simply replaced the parts that I mentioned with all Yukon replacement parts that's all. It still seems like it's staying engaged all the time.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 06:19:12 PM »
Sounds like the GOV BOMB is ready to blow. Look into LSD's, imo lockers suck although they are simple to install.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 01:28:29 PM »
I'm sorry I've been waiting for a response for a few days now and didn't realize that I never responded smh. I wrote one out and must have never posted it. Anyways,  I think your right Vile.. It seems to me like it's on its way out as well. Do you have any suggestions for a reasonably priced LSD? Or any other option? I considered re building this one but I have no experience with gear patterning and back lash and such. But I'm never afraid to give it a shot, that's how's you learn I suppose. I just hate to rebuild something when I can most likely upgrade from factory for the same or a little more money..

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 04:01:53 PM »
I put an Auburn Pro series carrier in my 74 behind a built 454. It has seen much punishment and lasted a very long time. It's also as smooth as can be and you'd never know it's there until you romp on it. Zero clutch chatter, no banging or harsh engagement. If those things matter to you, I highly recommend.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 05:45:50 PM »
That's freaking awesome! That's what I'm talking about. How difficult is it to install? And what's the price point like? Your's in a 10 bolt as well?

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 05:23:55 PM »
Well... we were all correct fellas. The gov lock was on it's way out. Something must have malfunctioned and it blew apart one of the spider gears. Since I haven't heard much feed back. I bought an eBay mini spool for now untill I'm set in stone what unit I want to order.. So the mini spool came in and i quickly realized that it would not fit the gov lock carrier. It was only for open carriers. So another waste of time, unfortunately. With that being said I'm just going to bite the bullet and go with an LSD as others have recommended from the get-go. I haven't decided which exact one to go with because I have a few questions. Question one being.. How hard is an LSD to install, in all honesty? I understand I'll have to re- check and tweak some critical clearances like back lash and such, which I've never done but I'm sure I could with proper instruction. Question two is.. has anyone ever towed on these units? I would assume there would be no issues but I just wanted to get some feed back (Assurance) before I order whatever unit I'll be getting.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 12:03:25 PM »
How hard is it to install? It's not hard, but requires special tools, following procedure and knowing what you are doing. If you don't have the tools to set it up properly, it may be less expensive to have it installed as opposed to purchasing everything. Towing is not an issue.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 05:46:56 PM »
I used an Auburn Ected in mine when my carried cracked and ate the spiders and clutch pack. It is not as quiet in normal LSD mode. At slow speeds you can head the clutches for the first 6-700 miles but when you flip the switch the only noise you have are the rear tires sliding on pavement because you forgot to turn he e-locker off when you got out of the dirt...ask me how much fun the LWB V10 is on pavement with no differential action in the corners.

If your ring and pinion are good and pinion bearings are good then it's just shimming for back lash and bearing preload. However if you are like me and most of us square body lovers you'll at least pop the pinion out replace the bearing. That will also require a new crush collar, but 3 of those, you won't regret it. I have a thread somewhere about this if you want an idea of tools used. All the special tools I use are fabricated in house for me and friends.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 05:50:48 PM »
Found it. I think it shows everything and a lot of my anal retentiaveness!
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=33088.msg292665#msg292665
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart