Author Topic: Snapped Axle Shaft - GM 10 Bolt  (Read 122 times)

Offline 87_Rado

Snapped Axle Shaft - GM 10 Bolt
« on: June 29, 2020, 07:15:17 PM »
Well fellas after getting my drivability issue fixed thanks to alot of good advice/info from the forum. Let's just say I had a little to much fun with the ol chevy. I left a buddy's house and left a little rubber in the road and as I started taking off I heard a quite noticable bang/clunk from the rear end. It's a stock GM 10 bolt with what I believe is referred to as the GOV-LOC inside the rear diff. This banging/clunking sound has happened before, especially when locking and un locking during a winter storm or something so I just shruggged it off at first. Anyways So long story short thankfully I was right down the road from my house and by the time I got home there was nothing but smoke rolling off the back driver side tire. Luckily for me I have a wooden flat bed truck. So this prevented the tire and axle assembly from completely flying off during/after my burnout lol So I jacked the rear end up and sure enough I snapped the axle shaft. So upon further inspection I pulled the cover to try to access the c-clips and I came to realized that the cross pin bolt was snapped off and the center pin had actually spun in place and got jammed in there. So after pretty much all day of struggling on the ground and trying to swing a hammer to drive the center pin out.. I eventually got  it out. 180 bucks gets me everything I need off rock Auto and it should be here Friday. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is this common with these gov-locs? From what I've read many people aren't a fan of these rear ends for fun driving/horsing around a bit. Just some thoughts if anyone else has had this same experience? And if so did you upgrade anything In the process? Cheers fellas  8)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Snapped Axle Shaft - GM 10 Bolt
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 08:57:42 PM »
The axle snapped? It's not as common as the differential failing in the 10 bolt but it does happen. Where did the axle shaft snap? In other controversy, many say the GM 10 bolt is stronger than the GM 12 bolt due to the pinion size. (Ask any social justice warrior) I will argue this as the pinion is rarely the weak link and 10 bolts break very easily. They are not strong for beating on and the Gov-Loc is a self-destructing bomb.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 87_Rado

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 11:14:17 PM »
I've read exactly as you said, that the GOV-LOC is prone to failure. But with little experienc prior to this incident, I can't justify what I've read from self experience. Which is exactly why I posted. Yes the axle snapped and It snapped right at the collar where it turns into to the 28 spline. It keeps saying I can't upload pics because they're to large from my phone. Is there any way around this? If so I'll post a pic of exactly where it snapped!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:08:12 AM »
You can either host the image on your storage site and embed it using the img code or resize it as a jpeg and attach it to your post.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)