Author Topic: Cab Swapping Question 2wd to 4wd  (Read 3053 times)

Offline rdhack

Cab Swapping Question 2wd to 4wd
« on: July 18, 2007, 09:55:01 PM »
I am currently engaged in a complete body swap. I am taking a 1986 Chevy Silverado 2WD C-10  body and going to place it on a 1982 GMC High Sierra K1500 4WD. I have come to notice that the transmission hump in the 4WD cab is higher than the 2WD cab. I knew I would have to be cutting a hole for the Transfer case Lever But my question is this....Will I have to do more modifications to get this cab to work? I figure worst case scenario I will have to cut and weld in a higher hump but would like to know before I start if I really have to.  Thanks

Offline GMCTed

Re: Cab Swapping Question 2wd to 4wd
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:14:15 PM »
i swapped a 2wd cab on my 3/4 ton 4x4 but i fixed the problem by putting in a 2 inch body lift and the height of the shifters was perfect.

but if thats not an option like you said you can just cut out and swap the sheet metal, i know a guy that did the swap and all he did was cut the 4x4 tunnel a little bigger than the 4x2 so it overlapped and he drilled holes and just bolted it down with some silicone and it worked great.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 11:46:42 PM »
if the tunnel in the 4x4 is removable, you can place in on the 2wd tunner and see where to cut to make it work.  The rear section of the tunnel past the "seat" hump will need to be swapped to clear the transfercase.

Offline rdhack

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 08:13:45 PM »
Thanks Guys........It's appreciated :)

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 07:02:20 AM »
I cut the center out of the 4x4 cabs and use 7/16 head self drilling /  tapping screws and seam tape for metal roofing. You will need to massage the rear corners a bit and double layer the tape there too as they don't quite match up.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs