Author Topic: 350 rebuilt help  (Read 3203 times)

Offline 83HighSierra

350 rebuilt help
« on: October 09, 2007, 09:51:57 PM »
Over the weekend i went to adjust my valves and found out that two of the rocker arms were completely off the pushrods and some other valves were not moving when the engine was cranked. after compleletly tearing it down i found my cam was loped over and one of my heads were had a chip broken off. My question is what do yall suggest i replace my cam, heads, and anything else i should replace while the engine is broken down. I have about a 900 dollar budget for everything but i may be able to extend it. i want it to be a daily driver but still have a good bang to it.

I heard that i should get some corvette heads

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 350 rebuilt help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:28:34 AM »
I would pull the engine and rebuild it. What if you have a plugged oil galley and no oil is getting to your cam journals that got wiped? A re-ring kit, oil pump and shaft, cam & heads, new timing set, nice new paint on the engine and you can do it all for your $900 bucks. Do you have a good intake already? If not you might want to opt for a set of vortech heads. If you want to daily drive it and not go crazy with cyl head work I would suggest this cam kit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2DK1105&autoview=sku
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 83HighSierra

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
i have a stock intake but im thinkin about getting a holley one. is that cam better than the stock one? i want one a little better than stock. Same with the heads i just cant afford new ones so i dont know what to do.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 03:14:17 PM »
It's not stock, that's a nice cam with good results w/o going too crazy. Well find a set of vortec heads and buy a matching intake. Use your stock lower end just freshen everybody up and replace your cam bearings as well.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 02:21:39 PM »
Those are some good deals on stock Vortec heads. If they are pulled off a running engine that didn't have any cylinder head issues, you could probably just give them a clean and bolt them on to your motor if you want to save money. You have to watch the cam you choose though. I think the one Vile recommended is too much for the stock Vortec valve springs. You are limited to 0.475" on the stock Vortec springs and if you pay a shop to change them, that's just more money. You will also need to reuse the stock Vortec rockers, but you will have to buy a Vortec-specific intake manifold. They run about $40 more than a regular-head manifold.

I looked a lot into deciding whether to do stock, new Vortec heads or aftermarket performance heads. I am going to go with the Dart heads for $625 here:
http://www.aeroheadracing.com/id7.html

That's the best deal on a performance head I can find. I decided that for the extra cost of getting a Vortec-specific intake, new rockers and changing valve springs, I was better off going with the $625 darts than Vortecs, since I already have roller-tip rockers and a performance intake.

They also have a stock rebuilt head with bigger valves for $399. They don't say what casting they are though.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.