Author Topic: Need help with finishing up motor  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Rawkzilla

Need help with finishing up motor
« on: October 17, 2007, 08:48:37 PM »
The truck is a 85 GMC Sierra that I bought from a friend without a motor. I built a 406 SBC with a set of Vortec heads and an Edelbrock Air Gap Intake. I've got the motor built and sitting in the truck, but since the truck didn't come with a motor nor have I ever really installed a motor I'm wondering with kind of sensors and whatnot are to go on the intake? Which holes will need to get plugged? I've attached a picture from summit with the holes that I am needing help with highlighted. Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for sounding like a complete newb but I'm learning! Thanks!

Offline eventhorizon66

Re: Need help with finishing up motor
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 11:50:51 PM »
The one to the passenger side of the water neck can be used for heater hose (coolant flowing to the heater from there).  The one on the other side can either be plugged or used for coolant temp sensor.  The two in the middle on the driver side of the manifold are used for AC brakets, and if you don't use them for AC they don't need to be plugged.  The one on the no. 8 runner can be used as a source of full manifold vacuum; if not used it must be plugged.  The two little ones behind the runners are for throttle brackets and don't need to be plugged if they are not used.

Not 100% sure about the two on either side of the distributor, but I believe they are for an optional (race only) coolant crossflow line, and should be plugged for an ordinary street application.  My Performer EPS manifold doesn't even have them.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
Re: Need help with finishing up motor
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 01:13:44 PM »
the one right behind carb is for an automatic tranny modulator.  I have a T screwed into that and leads to tranny.

Some of those little one are for accelerator cable brackets/kickdown cable bracket, etc.

It looks as though you have two distributor hold down clamp holes...never seen that before.

I am sure one near the thermostadt is for a Thermal Vacuum Switch that would control certain emissions stuff, if you have them.  One of those if for the heater hose attachment.

This may blow your mind, but, I created a website years ago when I removed my old 350 to put in a 383....many pics that shows routing of thousands of vacuum lines. This may give some idea about some of the intake holes...

http://www.delbridge.net/vacuum.html