Author Topic: Bendix-type disc brakes- I'm completely stumped!?!!!(SOLVED!)  (Read 12353 times)

Offline Dave Kay

I've done Delco-type disc brake-jobs multiple times and never a problem. But this Bendix-type has me completely stumped!

Got an old '86 GMC 1-ton truck with Bendix type front calipers and in the middle of doing a seemingly routine brake-job I'm stopped dead in my tracks because I cannot figure out for the life of me WHERE to install the anti-rattle clips. (aka - inboard shoe clips) The old pads did not have them on either the pad or the knuckle assembly and all the books and manuals I have show no particular place to install these clips, they just sorta' hang out there in space on all the blow-up schematics... I've searched forum after forum and Googled this thing to death--- NADA!? >:(

Any one-ton owners out there with some help? ???
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 05:13:59 PM by Dave Kay »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bendix-type disc brakes- I'm completely stumped!?!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:01:54 AM »
Are you talking about the 2 clips that hang on the back of the inboard pad? They fit into the hole and over the pad.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Dave Kay

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:07:03 PM »
Are you talking about the 2 clips that hang on the back of the inboard pad? They fit into the hole and over the pad.

Well Vile, according to the Helms and Chilton books, there are 2 spring-steel clips that mount SOMEWHERE on or in the area of the inboard pads but they are not specific. The clips came in the box with the new NAPA calipers... but no instructions. Can't all my NAPA guy 'cause he's closed for the next 2-days and would like to get this done before the weekend is over... These are slider, bendix-type calipers and not the Delco 2-pin type where you have a spring-clip attaching to the BACK of the pad which then pops into place directly to the caliper piston... get what I mean?

Not sure what you mean by "into the hole and over the pad."

I've tried various locations to mount these clips but they don't seem to fit properly anywhere, not without buggering 'em up... so HOW do they attach to the pad itself... or maybe they mount on the steering knuckle... but how?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 07:46:15 PM »
Maybe this will help you

Clean and lubricate sliding surfaces of caliper and the anchor plate with Delco Silicone Lube, P/N 5459912, or equivalent.
Install inboard brake pad anti-rattle spring on brake pad rear flange, and ensure looped section of clip is facing away from rotor.
Install inboard brake pad in steering knuckle.
Install outboard brake pad in caliper. Ensure pad flange is seated fully into outboard arms of caliper. It may be necessary to use a C-clamp to seat the pad.
Place caliper assembly over rotor and position in steering knuckle. Ensure dust boot is not torn or improperly positioned by inboard brake pad during caliper installation.

Installing The Caliper Key

Brake Caliper

Align caliper with steering knuckle abutment surfaces, then insert support key and spring between abutment surfaces at the trailing end of caliper and steering knuckle. With a hammer and brass drift, drive caliper support key and spring into position, then install and torque support key retaining screw to 16.2-24.3 Nm (12-18 ft lb) .
Refill master cylinder to within one inch of rim. Press brake pedal several times to seat pads.
Install front wheels and lower vehicle.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Dave Kay

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 10:07:35 PM »
Thanks Vile, here's my take on a quote from your post:

"Install inboard brake pad anti-rattle spring on brake pad rear flange, and ensure looped section of clip is facing away from rotor."

So wadda' ya' guys think? Look right to you? Thing is, it doesn't seem to be able to go anywhere else AND the clip does not really seat itself and grip the "flange" as it were...

Offline Dave Kay

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 10:09:03 PM »
Here's another pic...

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 08:00:42 AM »
No it goes on the end of the pad. The looped side faces outward away from the rotor...
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Dave Kay

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 05:10:33 PM »
No it goes on the end of the pad. The looped side faces outward away from the rotor...

You are absolutely RIGHT Vile and to confirm that here's something else I found; scroll down to Bendix Sliding Calipers... and there it is!

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Dodge%20Brake%20Job%201piston.htm

Thanks a TON for your help man!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bendix-type disc brakes- I'm completely stumped!?!!!(SOLVED!)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »
Glad you got it right
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)