Author Topic: 1974 C10 Custom Deluxe with a puttering noise?  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Trixie13

• Grease Chick :D
    • Trixie13 Photographic Art
1974 C10 Custom Deluxe with a puttering noise?
« on: July 29, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »
So, I became the proud owner of a 1974 Chevy C10 Custom Deluxe with the 350, 5.7 liter engine.  I love the truck, and it was an even trade for my '04 Trailblazer which was drowned on Memorial Day *still crying  :'(*.  I know there are several issues, but I am curious about one that is rather recent.  When we rebuilt the carburetor (not the original, previous owner put a Quadrajet on it) and timed it, things started running much more smoothly.  However, I started noticing another issue I believe may be related to the PCV valve but my husband believes is because of the existing oil leak (it's been a rough time getting this things going with no money...) but now, I am wondering if I may have an exhaust leak or something. 

Granted, I am familiar with my father's '82 K5 Blazer, and I am more accustomed to the "glug glug" noise that made, and Chadd (my current truck) is a bit of a frankenbeater, but I am hearing a "putter" noise when I sit at idle.  It seems to come from the exhaust area, goes in time with the rotation of the engine, like a steady "puff puff puff puff".

I know this probably makes NO sense, but if anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate some input!

Thanks!

Miranda Strickland
"Damnit, Chadd!  Quit MESSIN' WITH MY TRUCK!"

"Hey is that kajigger supposed to be connected to that doohickey?"

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 1974 C10 Custom Deluxe with a puttering noise?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 04:29:04 PM »
Welcome from Maryland. If you post a video it can sometimes help. Exhaust leaks can sound like a tap of the engine. With the engine cold but just started try and run a hand around the exhaust near where the sound if coming from
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Tazman

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 07:50:15 PM »
Welcome from AZ.
Proud of and proud to be a veteran of our military.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:00:09 PM »
Welcome from NW Indiana
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Trixie13

• Grease Chick :D
    • Trixie13 Photographic Art
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:28:48 PM »
Thank you for the welcomes, and WHOOPS I didn't realize I posted it in this area, haha!  Irish_Alley, I will try doing both the video and the cold start thing.  I don't remember hearing it till after we rebuilt the carburetor and timed it.
"Damnit, Chadd!  Quit MESSIN' WITH MY TRUCK!"

"Hey is that kajigger supposed to be connected to that doohickey?"