Author Topic: Blazer top swap  (Read 10285 times)

Offline 77Bonanza

Blazer top swap
« on: April 25, 2006, 01:26:00 AM »
I have a '78 blazer with the standard removable top.  I also have a full removable top from a '74 blazer.

The big question, has anyone here ever tried cutting the top off of a later blazer and mounting the earlier full top?  I'm sure it is a lot of work, but I sure like the look.

Kevin

77 Bonanza 1/2 ton swb 2wd
78 Blazer 4x4

Offline toplessblazer

• Frequent Member
Re: Blazer top swap
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 02:15:00 AM »
I cut the top off a 78 and put a 73 top on it before. Also did it to a 82. You need the windshield frame from a 73-75. The 73-75 have additional bracing under the body for support, because of the missing roof. So if you don't run a roll cage or reinforce the under body then they will have quite a bit of flex. Cutting the doors it the worst part.

Here is a good write up if you want to attempt it. Full Top swap.

73-75 Blazers rule!

Edited by: toplessblazer at: 4/25/06 1:18 am

Offline 77Bonanza

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:40:00 AM »
thanks for the info.  I think I am going to give this a try.  I can buy this '74 for less than $500.  It is in pretty rough shape all around.  Lots of rust and over 350,000 miles.  Interior worn out and the engine and transmission leak. The top is in pretty good shape, needs a little work on both rear pillers.  What a gem....:lol

I know the factory roll bars also helped in body flex by bolting to the floor and body just behind the door striker.  I'll probably use a roll bar and try and reinforce the rockers.

I was planning on doing this all too my '78 blazer, but now am thinking of useing a '87 - '90 just for the later running gear and options.

Any other advice or opinions are welcome.

Kevin

77 Bonanza 1/2 ton swb 2wd
78 Blazer 4x4

Offline toplessblazer

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 03:21:00 AM »
All 73-74 tops, that are removed a lot, crack on the rear pillers. In 75 they redesigned the top and it was much stronger in the rear section around the back window. The 73-74 tops had a seem both on the inside and outside of the top right there were yours is broke. The 75 top did away with the two seems on the inside and it only has one seem right in the middle up on top. If you are going to be removing and installing the top a lot I would try to find a 75 top. I would definately use a later model 89-91 for the fuel injection and the 4 little headlight setup. This is the best pic I could find to show you what I am talking about. Notice that there is not a seem on the inside of the top at the same place as the outside seem.

Offline 77Bonanza

Blazer top swap
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 12:50:00 AM »
My '78 blazer roof has now been chopped, and is now sporting a late '74 blazer top.  Everything went pretty well, except that the new weather stripping has not arrived yet and the old stuff is in bad shape.

We also forgot to plug in the windshield antenna for the radio.  Reception really sucks without it.

The problem I am trying to work out now is that I no longer have a pivot for my front seat belts.  I could put the lap belts in from the '74, but I would like to keep the shoulder belts.  I need new seats anyway, what bucket seats have the bracket to run the seat belts through?  I know the camaros do, anyone have a suggestion?

Kevin

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
Get some out of a newer model truck with the seatbelts mounted in the seat...

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline baggedk5

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 09:57:53 PM »
to be a bit more specific...the 99+ chevrolets have the shoulder belts in the seat. plus, lotsa electric, seat heat, and a million covers avail (that fit like factory)
I reject your reality, and substitue it with my own!

Offline 82chevy

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 08:45:26 PM »
do you have any pics on of how it came out???

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 10:18:02 AM »
This post is 2 years old...  User hasn't been back since we moved.

Offline 82chevy

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »
haha i didnt realize that